This Disappears When Logged In

Say Hello To Chochmo

Discussion in 'Crocodilians - General' started by uvreptilenh, Mar 17, 2015.

1. uvreptilenh

uvreptilenh Well-Known Member

Chochmo is a 2yr old captive bred American alligator who was obtained legally through another wildlife education group that I have worked with. He is one of my organization's "Animal ambassadors" and is being used in educational programs. Alligators are restricted for private possession in New Hampshire, so I maintain the appropriate permitting to keep him. His current "grow out" pond is a 10' 400 gallon stock tank. This spring he will be getting upgraded to a semi-permanent enclosure that will measure approximately 12'X8'. He also shares his pond with an alligator snapping turtle.
    Through target training and regular handling he is becoming very docile, so that when he reaches his adult size he will be "easier" to work with (for an alligator anyway)

Attached Files:

caters and Lizz like this.
  2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

What a handsome boy.

uvreptilenh likes this.
  3. uvreptilenh

uvreptilenh Well-Known Member

The biggest challenge is going to be the space as he grows. Even the 12'X8' enclosure will eventually be too small (though growth rate slows significantly after they reach 6') Long-term plans include a separate outbuilding that allows for an indoor & outdoor space.

4. DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer Established Member

Beautiful!

uvreptilenh likes this.
  5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Very nice. Always found Alligators so fascinating.

uvreptilenh likes this.
  6. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Absolutely gorgeous creature! Thanks.

uvreptilenh likes this.
  7. Lizz

Lizz Well-Known Member

I have a hard enough time picking up my own snakes and staying calm (I know I'm silly. Pick up a tarantula, sure no problem, let him crawl all over and I won't even flinch, but a snake, err, can someone stay in the room with me please while I do this? And from what I hear the spider bites hurt much worse. xD My brain just doesn't make sense.) I can't imagine handling that guy while seeing all those teeth!
    He's a beautiful little creature though, that's for sure.

uvreptilenh likes this.
  8. jonny274

jonny274 Member

Hi Chochmo! You are very pretty!

9. caters

caters Member

What a pretty alligator. He still has those bright yellow stripes. Most 2 year old alligators have darker yellow stripes than yours do like for example this one where you can just barely see the stripes:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSle9atJvQUzG0A-ndalP9ji9-mAq364HBqjPAw-m-X9WKeo65Q.jpg

And I sometimes don't even see the stripes on juvenile alligators because of them being wild alligators.