This Disappears When Logged In

Savu Has a Cold

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by leslielenee, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

My 15 month old Kane has a cold. He is a Savu Python. Here are some details.

He ate 1 adult mouse on the 3rd (half of what he usually eats) He was just moved into his new enclosure on the 5th. He went into a shed cycle on the 8th. Of course he refused food on the 10th. His enclosure is 3ft x 4ft x 2ft deep. His temps are 74, 80, 89, and 97 during the day and drop to 74, 78, 87, and 95 at night. His humidity is running around 55 to 75 any given day of the week.

He has some brown build up around his nostrils, and he pops occasionally. I can only wonder if this is due to the fact that he likes the rock corner which is the coldest, driest corner. I have little info on Savu Pythons and have been using the White Lipped and Macklots combined information. Here is also a picture of his enclosure...
    [​IMG]
    Could the cold be due to the stress of moving to a new enclosure...Kane usually exhibits a huge amount of territorial issues and along with that, arrangement and or moving stress. Besides, he was in a high traffic area before we figured out a better place to put him.

He has a vet appointment tomorrow at 2:00.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Glad he has a vet appointment. Hopefully he will get the meds he requires. As for housing, I'm no good. Someone will chime in. What is the substrate?

3. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

Ah, you found me...lol.

His substrate is shredded aspen with the moss for help keeping the humidity. His heat pad is 2 ft. x 1 ft. and is positioned all the way to the back left with a wire cage top to help hold him off of it a bit since he is a bit of a burrower. The bulb I am using is a 40 watt moonglow.
    I am thinking of centering the heat pad so that the rock corner heats up a bit also.

My main concern at this time is if the cold came from the new enclosure or the 55 gallon aquarium I had him in before. (I moved him when I could not keep the temps above 85). Although, I have noticed that it is harder to keep the humidity above 70 now (in his new enclosure).

This would help me give information to the vet. I could tell her if I thought it was from stress or inproper husbandry. But since both potential problems have been addressed, I imagine that I would just be wasting wind.

I swear that I am going to write a proper care sheet for this breed before it is all over.

4. schlegelbagel

You should! Poor Rich has been waiting on my Red eye tree frog and firebelly toad care sheets over a year now. ;)

Hope the vet goes well though. There are many things that can cause a URI. Some beyond your control. The important thing is he is getting treated. :)

5. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

He may have gotten sick in the old cage where you were having a hard time maintaining the temps and then when you moved him the stress may have caused him to break with the cold.

Let us know what the vet says!

6. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

Yup, sure will.

He sure is a high strung little beast. I can hardly wait until this whole thing is through. I just keep thinking about the vet swabbing, the shots afterwards and the nebulizer thing. The cold doesn't seem that advanced, though, so hopefully the treatment should be rather quick and painless.

But it has become obvious that the boogers are holding up the shedding process. The skin has broken at the tail...He would have to crawl backwards to get if off...ha ha ha. I would give him another soak but it seems that the extra moisture makes it harder for him to breath. He open mouth for inhaled for about 10 minutes after the bath.

I would also try to clean the boogers because he is not really head shy but I keep thinking about how hard it is to accomplish a good nose cleaning for my two children...lol.

I'm currently checking all sites for any additional information on Savu care, but most posts just say: "Hey, here's my new Savu...Check out his eyes..."

No help there.

7. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

Update!!!

As I was sitting in the living room having lunch, I heard a bump from his enclosure. I thought nothing of it until I heard it again. I got up to see and it was Diego (the black cat) harassing my herp. He was in his usual defensive territorial strike position striking the glass as the cat kept watch.

Is this the culprit? It would definitely explain why the boogers are brown and not greenish...Has Diego been harassing him in the new enclosure at night? I might have to place a cover over his enclosure to ensure privacy at night.

P.S. I moved his climbing branches to allow more light to reach the rock corner. Currently taking new temps.

8. schlegelbagel

Its very possible that's the problem. Can you cover the bottom section with something, even news paper so the cat can't see in?

9. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

Well I woke up this morning and checked in on my little boy. He shed a very impressive skin last night. So now he's sick, sensitive, AND hungry.

Hello Vet...How are you doing? Do you mind shattering my snakes already shaky perspective of people today?

Awe, just three hours to go.

10. schlegelbagel

If it makes you feel any better, my cats at the vet for an overnight :(

11. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

Awe, hopefully nothing bad...Is it getting fixed? I read your blog about the foster dog...Is it anything to do with that?

P.S. Kane is fine. There was some swelling and redness, but not from a URI. She thinks that the popping may have been a mixture of the loose pre-shed skin and bumping his nose against the plexi-glass. That also might have attributed to the open mouth breathing after bath. Nothing to worry about except the very tip of his tail which seems to be a little dislocated...Curious as to why that is? They have a very tight grip and tend to wrap around things. Professional at the hook and latch maneuver. He often gets himself in such a wrap around my arm that my circulation slows and my hand gets red. Not a snake to wear as a necklace EVER. Even at his young age he has the strength and control of a cop with handcuffs

12. schlegelbagel

No, that's someone else with the dog blog. My cat is having urinary problems. You can read about it in the furry and fuzzy section.

Glad there is no URI. I would get to covering up the bottom of that tank with something. Your cat must be stressing him out!

13. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

Yeah, because it is impossible to feed him without a cover. He will constrict, guard the mouse for a while, then just crawl away. He eats, however, with a cover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.