This Disappears When Logged In

Savannah Monitors - Littlefoot & Cera

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Infernalis, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

Stefan is a good guy, He means well.

Their reserves are in their tails, where it belongs, not around their organs where it's not supposed to be. I have seen bloated looking Boscs that you can count ribs on, indicating that the muscle tissues are in a state of atrophy while still carrying a huge fat load around their organs.

2. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

I've been thinking the same thing. 6 feet high seems just about right.

3. TheSmench

TheSmench Elite Member

I know in may last large enclosure smog didn't use the higher standing logs as much as the lower ones but After 2 feet of soil doesn't leave much room (8x4x4). I have a combo of both in new cage and its 5' tall. Ill see if his habits change. I read long ago that when young they spend more time in trees to avoid predation but once to adult size and are less of a prey item they stick to the ground. That was probably 15 years ago so how knows but agree that 4' height which is actually 2' after soil isn't the right size

Infernalis your monitors are "Lean mean eating machines" they look good keep up the good work. Thanks for the story on chomper it really helped in the recovery process for Smog.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Wayne, would it be feasible to simply add a two foot extension to the top of the cage? That is if you think they would use the space. Might me fairly easy depending on how the cage is put together. That would give you all the branch room you would need.

5. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

Not viable at all, that thing is built so solid it would hold up a truck parked on its roof. I used screws, bolts and carpentry glue, that box will be a bear to get out of here one day. I made it for the long haul.

I am actually building an addition off to one side with a lot less soil, they will connect to form one big enclosure.

6. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

For Stefan.. Cera after dinner.

satiated.jpg

Littlefoot jets right down his hole as soon as he's done.

Attached Files:

7. casey15

casey15 Elite Member

Do you have to take out one of the side walls to put the addition on? Are you making the addition taller? Would be awesome to see some shots of them climbing:)

8. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

I do not know 1/4 of what wayne and stefan know about monitors, so I will keep my opinions to myself. I just want to say how awesome it is that we can actually discuss issues, challenge each other, and learn about our beloved monitors without the conversation turning hostile and argumentative. A testament to both of your characters, but more importantly, an enhancement to the forum and an aide to people like me who are trying to learn more. Thanks guys.

@ Wayne: Would you be able to measure or weigh one of your guys? I got my monitor the same week you have, and have been raising them based upon the way you have been, so I would like to compare the sizes.

9. MDFMONITOR

MDFMONITOR Elite Member

two different opinions, that's all Wayne, no more :)

10. MDFMONITOR

MDFMONITOR Elite Member

still a dirty sav!! you should take more care of them lol, allowing them to roll in that mud making mud pies!! :)

Attached Files:

11. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

OK Wayne, it was just a thought. I would be interested to know how much use they would make of some extra climbing room if they had it. Hopefully your addition will allow for more climbing opportunities so we can see if they will use them.

And yes it is very nice to see rational discussion for once instead of having the keyboard commandos start a flame war.

12. MDFMONITOR

MDFMONITOR Elite Member

Maybe 2 questions to ask here>

why & what purpose do they use height in the wild?

& why & what purpose they'd use it for in captivity?

13. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

I can provide a sound theory for it in the wild.

Run up a tree to escape danger.

In captivity, Maybe while searching for an escape??

I pointed one of my basking lamps at the log, and I often see them up on it basking.

In the following video, I suspect that the Bosc ran up the tree to escape the tourist with the camera. No way of telling, the clip is so short that it has no context, but the animal looks as if it's fleeing the people filming it.

[video=youtube;M0R5vaj-C6k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0R5vaj-C6k[/video]

14. steve79

steve79 New Member

I'm new to the page just thought I would share

Attached Files:

15. Mrs.hayner

Mrs.hayner Active Member

How old are your Savannahs? Mine look as though they look to be just a tiny bit bigger than the one I have here don't know age or gender

16. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Hi. You'd be better off starting you own thread for info, this one hasn't really been active since 2013, and the OP isn't on here nearly as much anymore.

17. Mrs.hayner

Mrs.hayner Active Member

O ok thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.