This Disappears When Logged In

Savannah Monitors - Littlefoot & Cera

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Infernalis, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! Probably due to what they charged for them.

2. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Seen that before... That is a confirmed male?

Attached Files:

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Most definitely a male...

4. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

any mouse over a quarter each. ;)

Adam, you are young yet. Back in the day we called anything expensive "gold plated"

5. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

[video=youtube;ssKcWagKVFs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssKcWagKVFs[/video]

6. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

That sounded painful. I'm sure it was mostly the initial shock though. I liked how at the end of the video the one monitor that already had food in its mouth was still going for the next one.

7. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

five pinholes in my finger... I need longer tongs.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Or quicker reflexes? LOL!

9. Cap10Squirty

Cap10Squirty Elite Member

Wow he/she was really eager to get that mouse. I almost have to avoid tong feeding mice to my ornate monitor because she gets so excited she likes to leap out at me and the mouse! She scalped a mouse once doing that and left me sitting there with a bloody mess. I hope your finger is alright!

10. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

They both flip out over food, almost act like I never feed them.

11. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Love this thread, great job as usual Wayne. And I'm betting a longer feeding tool of some sort is coming soon, lol.

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Wayne, looking at their body condition you don`t feed enough (I don`t think you have for some time). Quite frankly, your idea of what a healthy captive Savannah monitor looks like is somewhat off. The interior of the enclosure is still fairly poorly laid out from what I see in your videos, just bare substrate (and still a single branch, I presume)?
    Absolutely no disrespect, I truly am trying to help you help them, but you seem quite convinced your husbandry is now "perfect" and it so isn`t in my opinion, there are adjustments to be made (perhaps nothing major, but still very important to them).

13. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

Stefan, they destroy or bury almost anything that is not solid rock or wood.

And I know you mean no disrespect... ;)

They weigh half as much as Chomper and eat nearly twice as much.

14. casey15

casey15 Elite Member

How much do they weigh? Just wondering

15. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

I need a scale, so I have no idea.

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Wayne, I`m judging their condition from the photos and videos, not from how many items you feed at a sitting, they are both underfed (not properly supported), the smaller one looks positively malnourished (almost)!
    You stated at the beginning you fed Chomper 1 (one) pound of inverts a day, no way are those two monitors getting twice that ammount!?
    I cannot see the slightest resemblance to the tropical savannah in the wet season in that enclosure which is what you should be trying to approximate, on the contrary, it looks more like a desert in the middle of a drought.
    I saw the photos you took just the other week with the new clumps of grass (very nice), once again it`s already shrivelled and dead, surely it`s clear to you the conditions are much too harsh, or are you suggesting grass doesn`t last more than a few days during the wet season in the wild (and I don`t believe they dig it ALL up, it`s clearly still there in the background)!?
    If you`re going to advise others you need to get it right yourself first (you haven`t)....
    You obviously aren`t about to take my advise, so I`ll stop commenting on your "progress reports", though I really do wish you and they all the best! ;)

17. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

To me they look lean not underfed. One has to keep in mind that these Boscs are getting much more exercise than any other captive ones I've seen. The calories are most likely being deposited in muscle tissue which takes up less volume of space than what fat deposits do. I find it hard to compare to other photos I've seen based on the different captive environments.

The dry surface does make it look rather dry in there. I assume it's just the surface.
    Are you still able to maintain humidity levels? What doe sit usually sit at?

18. MDFMONITOR

MDFMONITOR Elite Member

Wayne they look great, jumping around & good targeting on their food, their more than comfortable in their home with or without branches.

their well heated, there's plenty of fat reserves on them, their underbelly is nice & high regardless of what your feeding.

the only ponits i've got is their dirty & your setup is not a great example to show beginners becasue you've gone passed that, same with the feeding as i've pointed out to you, your savs have everthing they need to thrive but most beginners will fail to acheive it with that setup.

maybe you could do a beginner vid with all the crap in for the savs security etc & show feeding small whole prey items etc, but other than that don't change it's working. :)

but at your level the setup is great for your savs, i just think the opposite to Stefan but that's the beauty of opinion.

good luck with them in the future Wayne.

19. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

On a note unrelated to their body weight, I'd love to see you add a bunch of thick branches for climbing to use more of the vertical space. It just looks very plain in there and I think that both you and the monitors would like to fill it up a bit.

20. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

That's the problem, a 4 foot ceiling height is way too low. Whoever came up with this 8x4x4 size anyway?

They are already able to reach the lights in there with almost no effort.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.