This Disappears When Logged In

Savannah Monitor Questions

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by barrington, Sep 4, 2017.

1. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You can keep the domes although in future you will know they are not really needed. I would tentatively suggest you buy two par 30 or par 38 flood beam halogen bulbs @ around 75w, and in this case have each dome touching the other, then see what surface temp you get. The ceramic heat emitter is only suitable for raising the ambient (air) temps either during the day or at night if the temps get below approx 72f, it is not suitable as a "basking bulb" because they direct the heat all around rather than downwards.
    The smaller enclosure (and maybe the larger?) will need a barrier (3/4 inch plywood) at the front to hold a decent depth of substrate, it should be easy enough to put something just behind the glass front, fixed in place with metal angle brackets/other.

2. barrington

barrington Member

@murrindindi well I followed ur advice and I must say there is a huge difference in temps even bigger in the attitude and liveliness of my baby so I leveled the soil out at a little over a foot and a half could use more I replace the infrared lighting w halogen par 38 flood light at75 w and now I'm waitingi kept the dome to run uvb and the temps now in the cage temps are rising slowly in the basking area but over all the cage isn't as hot as it previously was but it has only been 2 hours

Attached Files:

3. barrington

barrington Member

@murrindindi my quail eggs just arrived and i am a bit taken aback just expected them to be a bit bigger any how i only got 15 of them and i was inclined to ask how do i store them in the refrigerator or just at room temp

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It depends on the quail type, some produce smaller sized eggs. I normally keep them at room temp but you can also put them in the fridge.

5. barrington

barrington Member

i have a solid question for you @murrindindi i have two monitors that are at about 12 inches and one that is about 2 feet i was wondering if they would eat each other or if i could house them together i was told from research that i could house them together as long as the enclosure was large enough and that it is possible to have good husbandry with this being the case what i want to do is house the one that is near two feet long head to tail with the other monitor at 12 in and i take your advice the best bc you seem very knowledgeable on the subject of these lizards

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Even if they were male and female it might not work out, personally I would wait until they were closer in size, even then it could be risky. When/if you try it what size of enclosure will you provide for two of them?

7. barrington

barrington Member

maybe a 4x4x4 until they are bigger and that will be for the 2 closer in size