This Disappears When Logged In

Savannah Monitor Questions

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by barrington, Sep 4, 2017.

1. barrington

barrington Member

so i have two savs and they are doing well one is bigger than the other so i built them both an enclosure to suut their needs the first enclosure is 6x4x4 and runs on the high end in realative heat at 92 and and 61 on the humidity levels on the cool end at about 80 and humidity at 65 for substrate i used real topsoil and playsand mixture there are plenty of places to hide and the basking area is 132 just a simple set up this lizard being more active and bigger well he likes to stay hiing under th ramp i dont know why but i am not worried on this one as much
    the second enclosure is 4x3x3 same substrate mix and set up period his basking area is at about 138-140 and 90 humidity 64 on warm end the cool end is at 85 humidity at 76 on a regular day he like to be in hiding places and under the log nothing to worry about but i noticed when i went to bed last night he was in the water dish and when i woke up he was there as well just enjoying himself i dont think anything is wrong but i love them nd rather get an opinion than to assume why is he in the water dish so long i his defense he is shedding terribly i will say he eats loves to eat but only when calm or no one is watching thoughlately hell eat right awat not caring is it ok for the monitor to be in the water so long and the other to be under the log all day as well they lvoe the eat though is you need pics of the set up i will upload as well i think i did a good job on enclosures as it was my first two cage builds thank for all the feed back i need it

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, how are you measuring the temps and humidity? I`ll comment further when you get a few photos up of the whole enclosures.

3. barrington

barrington Member

I measure temps w thermometer gauge and also a temp gun I'll include pics but my sac was shedding Ihe is back to his log etc the first set of pic are the big cage

Attached Files:

4. barrington

barrington Member

These are pics of the second cage though liveable I'm gonna add a few mor hiding places and places to burrow I have a good set up as my save whole entire temperament has changed he is just young as u can see what I measure temps w and also his basking area is nice a128-142

Attached Files:

5. barrington

barrington Member

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photos. What type and wattage are all the bulbs? It`s best to keep the substrate level rather than sloping, judging from the pics over much of the enclosure floor it`s not very deep at all.
    How big are the monitors just now, and where exactly is the hygrometer positioned (it should be quite low down near the surface because that`s where they spend most of their time)?
    Edit: I think these enclosures will only last a short time because the bottom and sides need to be better sealed than with just varnish, much more effective would be FRP (fibreglass reinforced plastic) alternatively fibreglass resin paint/similar.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  7. barrington

barrington Member

awesome i figured that i was getting some mis reads on the hygrometer etc bc of place ment and here later tonight i wiill straighten out the level of the enclosure i love monitors i dont know why but i olv them like people love dogs etc and i want to do all poss to have themcomfortable so i will move the hygrometer as well now as we speak i am running uvb bulbs a 26 150 and heat all at 150 but i dont use all eating lights in the small cage i only ust one heat light at 150 and two uvb at 26 150 bigger cage is same on the uvb and thought i have three heat lights at 150 i only run two and i have the temp and humidity in that cage running great althoug they don come out much in that bigger cage i will send pics of them in a sec

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can you say again how much wattage the heat bulbs are in each tank and are the UVB type compact bulbs? You haven`t said how big the monitors are (I`m not asking you to force handle them, only if you have a reasonable idea)?

9. barrington

barrington Member

Well the top and sides are selatight w weather proof at about a lil more than a 1/16 in on all sides the one that is shedding is the smaller of the two

Attached Files:

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Did you dig the substrate away from them (that`s a bad idea if yes)? I cannot tell how big they are, how long have you had them, and can you answer about the heat and UVB bulbs?

11. barrington

barrington Member

My heat bulbs are 150w
    UVB who terra 150 26w
    I was delayed in how big they are it sent pics

12. barrington

barrington Member

By dog the substartae away from the I don't know what u mean and I've answered these questions already I've had them for 2monthsnow

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The compact UVB bulbs are not very effectice, much better are the fluorescent tubes such as the Arcadia or Zoo-Med HO (high output) @ 10-0 or 12-0, fitted with a reflector. The high wattage bulbs will dry out the air to a much greater degree than for instance, relatively low wattage halogens @ par 30 or par 38 (must be flood beam and fitted with ceramic bulb holders). Here`s an example.... I use 80w but it depends on enclosure size and room temps. The idea is to evenly heat at least the snout to vent length, you may only need two (place them a few inches apart). 100_1826.JPG
    23944671826_af1ef18d15[1].jpg

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I was asking if you had moved some substrate away to get the photos? I would still like a reasonable estimate of their size if that`s possible?

15. barrington

barrington Member

Damn awesome set up I'll get there just tell me how I can fit my current bulb set up there can I line my current deep dome like that

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You need to change the bulbs to halogens, you may also be better not using the domes.
    You can just about see the 3 halogens above his body... I think you can buy the halogens in Home Depot (very cheap).
    7846322500_b254d8d653[1].jpg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    AmityReptiles and Darkbird like this.
  17. barrington

barrington Member

I may take back the deep dome suppose I keep the I'm supposed to line the inside w what and when running halogen what wattage and all etc let me know I've got money it's no issue when it come to my sacs

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Line the bottoms and sides up to the substrate level with FRP, it comes in a variety of sheet sizes. I`m not in America so can`t tell you where to buy, but I know it isn`t that expensive (put it into your search engine).
    I don`t know what wattage of halogens you`ll need because it depends on enclosure size and to some extent the temps in the room? I currently use 80w, it`s mostly trial and error, they can also be fitted with a dimmer switch which makes adjusting the basking surface temp much easier, or obviously you can raise/lower the bulbs or basking object.

19. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

FRP panels can be had at most home improvement stores, as they are pretty much a staple for those wanting to water proof the walls of things like bathrooms and such without the hassle and expense of more solid methods. I believe it can also be applied with adhesive from a caulking gun, but I haven't used it yet so check with the supplier on this, they should be able to advise you. That would save having to seal a bunch of fastener holes, then you just have to seal the seams if any, and the corners.

20. barrington

barrington Member

ok i am going to wait on your reply can you go into detail again as to what i need i am going to go get this now so i can just replace my heating red lights w halogen lights and alo go with a ceramic well let me ask this i want to keep the deep domes as i paid for them and cant now take them back if i do it right will it come out right or at least be better for my savs then the current set up
    @murrindindi