This Disappears When Logged In

Savannah Monitor- Is This Abnormal Behaviour?

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by gothicangel69, Dec 16, 2012.

1. gothicangel69

gothicangel69 Elite Member

Oh, and the basking spot is stone tiles. I did have a rock in there, but it wasn't big enough. Then I tried a wooden plank, but the temps wouldn't go above 120 without putting the lights too low (don't want to risk him playing with them). Are the tiles ok? There are no hot spots, and it holds a pretty even surface temp.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The tiles are good, I thought I could see an edge lifting and wondered what it was. There`s always bound to be certain spots that are a higher temp, that`s fine.
    The most important thing now is to put more cover around the basking and eating/drinking areas.
    I would also put something up around the exposed white sides (fake vines, a few firmly fixed stout branches) so the monitor can use as much of the available space as possible.

3. gothicangel69

I could easily pick up some plastic vines from the store and decorate the sides of the enclosure :)- even better that I can re-use them in the new enclosure as well, which is awesome!

4. gothicangel69

Well, I got the cool end of the enclosure all fixed up with a hide, plastic plants, and a covered area. I also put a branch by the basking spot. All thats left is to finish fixing up the hot end of the cage, then I'll post some more photos.
    We have a weather warning now, so I won't be able to do anything about the bare walls until tomorrow or tuesday as I need to get some stuff from the store.

5. gothicangel69

Got some more pictures :).
    Let me know if this looks better, its the best I could do for now. I couldn't find the vines I was looking for to cover the walls with though. He seems to really like the new plant additions (expecially the ones I put around the basking site and his burrow entrance).
    Sorry, no pictures of Sav. He saw the camera and glared at me before going into his burrow.
    HPIM3334.jpg
    HPIM3333.jpg
    HPIM3332.jpg
    HPIM3331.jpg
    HPIM3335.jpg

Attached Files:

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Sorry, I missed this update, yes that`s much better, I would actually fix one of the ferns onto the top of the basking slate (towards the corner, not suggesting blocking the heat/light off), if you can manage to drill a hole for the stem to push through.

7. gothicangel69

I'll see what i can do. The new cage should be done shortly anyhow. He seems much happier with the added plants and such.