This Disappears When Logged In

Savannah Monitor Info Please?

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Mrs.hayner, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Mrs.hayner

Mrs.hayner Active Member

Ok so I know I might seem like a pain but I need some good information on Savannah monitors. I'd like this little lady to be in right conditions in tell some one claims her if any one dose. What are the temps that are needed?
    Humidity needed?
    Do I need a mister?
    What types of plants woods can be used?
    Food, dose she need calcium?
    Bugs, Rats,mice, veggies, fruit? How often?
    Lighting does she need uv? Do I need night lights on her.
    If she's not claimed how big should I expect her to get? And what size cage will she need.
    Water does it need a big watter dish to soak?

2. Jacob Eddy

Jacob Eddy Active Member

3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

4. Mrs.hayner

Mrs.hayner Active Member

Thanks guys.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The enclosure size and type are fine as are the temp and humidity ranges, it`s quite lacking in some other ways because there`s no mention of how soon they might become sexually mature in captivity or how to provide suitable nesting if the monitor is female (there`s a 50% chance it will be).
    The captive diet is best confined mainly on invert prey due to most specimens starting off quite poorly, if vertebrates (including rodents) are offering too frequently it will often result in obesity, normally leading to an early death.

6. AmityReptiles

My bad. I thought you wrote this one murr. Where can we find out about the nesting info?

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It`s not a bad caresheet, just lacking in some respects. Nobody really knows what "suitable" nesting is in terms of substrate mix (only the monitors) we mostly just guess! The substrate needs to be heated to within a fairly narrow range @ between approx 27 to 30c (80 to 85f) and throughout the depth (obviously the lower temp will probably be near the bottom).
    In the wild females can become sexually mature @ a total length of only 27cm (10.5 inches) no reason it should be different in captivity, therefore its important that "suitable" nesting is available from the beginning (juveniles) because as I mentioned, 50% of them could be female.

8. AmityReptiles

So do you need a separate nesting box? or do we assume the sand/soil mix substrate in the enclosure will provide the right conditions as long as there is a good temperature gradient in the enclosure and adequate cover?

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You can offer a "nestbox" on top of the ground as an added option but the main thing is to make sure the "nesting area" covers as much space as possible (more choice). Yes, there should always be lots of cover throughout.

AmityReptiles likes this.
  10. Mrs.hayner

Mrs.hayner Active Member

vertebrates? What kinds? How often is best so that over feeding doesn't happen? Is there a way to tell if it's a girl or boy? Do these lizards eat any time of veggies or fruit, cottage cheese? Weird I know but I raised iguanas when I was a kid. I feed worms today because it was acting like it was starving.

11. Mrs.hayner

Mrs.hayner Active Member

What's the best cover?

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

They are strictly carnivorous so animal prey only, it`s always best to feed whole items (no lean meats/turkey mixes, etc). Until the monitor is housed in a suitable enclosure with supportive conditions you should only offer clean drinking water each day (offering food may cause serious health problems if the animal isn`t functioning efficiently).
    Where are you housing it right now, and can you show a few photos of the whole setup?

13. Mrs.hayner

Mrs.hayner Active Member

Right now a 30 gal tall tank to keep her warm I have Eco Earth mixed with sand a log hide that she fits in a basking Rock and a 75 w heat lamp and a under the tank heater. I live in Montana and its 32 out and dropping. She showed up in my house I woke to find it trying to eat my fuzzy blanket when I was sleeping on my couch. I have a rat cage next to my couch so I assume she thought it was food. I have adds up and called the pound and animal shelter and no one has reported one missing. And was told they can't take her because there not equipped to care for it. I plan on building a cage and will be picking up something bigger to house her in tell it's done. That's why I was asking so many questions. I can't just throw her out i could never do it and not many people here deals with large reptiles. I have a friend who sell feeders bugs and all. So I have a way to feed her. From what I gather bugs and frog are what they eat in the wild. Not sure about mice or rats what is your experience in this matter? I'd like to do what's best for her.

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Don't worry about asking questions. It's one of the reasons we are here.
    Many of us started this journey decades before there was anything like the internet and forums. It would have been much easier if we had the info available these days.

15. Mrs.hayner

Mrs.hayner Active Member

Thanks. I have experience with big snakes and iguanas but this girl is a whole new ball game. Do you know if a very large tote would work as a temporary habitat if I could get the tote secure? I feel bad having her in this tank. She seems comfortable at the moment but I think it's because she's now warm inside not freezing cold and out side.

16. Mrs.hayner

Mrs.hayner Active Member

How often do u Chang water? She gets it dirty as soon as I put it in. I changed it twice today

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can you show a few photos of the whole fishtank and say what the temps and humidity are and how you measure them, also can you have a decent guess at the monitor`s size?

18. Mrs.hayner

Mrs.hayner Active Member

Well I'd say between 18 and 20 inches give or take from snout to tip of tail. And at about 2 to 3 inches wide. But that's on a guessing. Its been drinking water and basking off and on all day. (I think it might be a boy tho know it's weird but something was sticking out when it was using the bathroom other than poop and wasn't there when he was done) basking spot is at 140(75 wasn't keeping it at the temp right it was 95) so put in 100 w.used a trg to take temp. If my Gage is working right humidity is 75 and temp on cool side is 90 ambient. I'll post pics when I get home. I'll post a few sod pics I took this morning.

19. AmityReptiles

Sometimes females will evert the hemiclitori when deficating so if you don't know what to look for that doesn't necessarily mean it's a male.

20. Mrs.hayner

Mrs.hayner Active Member

O ok. It almost looked like a third leg lol. I didn't know that look I'm learning something new all ready. This is a pic I took this morning. IMG_20170922_132734.jpg