This Disappears When Logged In

Savannah Monitor HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by ReptileCutie, Jul 18, 2013.

1. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Ah, ok great. I figured so, but wanted to check just in case.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I`d just like to ask if 7 inches is the SV (snout to vent) length of the monitor, because they can be around 4 to 5 inches ToL (total length) at hatching, so if 7 inches is ToL the monitor has hardly grown in over 3 months?
    Seafood should be fed rather sparingly because of the high salt content.
    This is what I did with the halogen bulbs in my monitors tank, it stops him getting a grip on them and knocking them together which burns them out very quickly (in the beginning they were free hanging as you can see).

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8497/8322444543_e8b89cdbc2_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8183/8098456051_7b1138d12a_z.jpg

3. ReptileCutie

ReptileCutie Well-Known Member

Yes I have an older thread actually where I had a mold problem on one side and had to remove her and bleach and retreat it 3 times. Thanks for all this wonderful information. I myself and Honeycomb appreciate it.

That's not including her tail. Also not accurate, just a estimate. She has grown and enormous amount since I bought her. And alot of the growing has went to her body mass, she looks alot more muscular. What can I use besides shrimp? Specifically?

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

O.k, then we can take it the monitor is over 30cm (12inches) ToL just now. The shrimps are fine in moderation, "jarich" offered a list of excellent prey items on the previous page (apart from the shrimp), and at this size the monitor should easily take a fuzzy mouse as he suggested. Fertilised quail eggs are good too if you can get them, and if the lizard will take them, small freshwater fish (f/k or f/t, not live in the water container).
    Can you put a couple of photos up of the monitor?

5. ReptileCutie

image.jpg
    She loved her first fuzzy mouse.

image.jpg image.jpg
    image.jpg

These are the most recent photos. She does not enjoy being photographed.

6. ReptileCutie

I'm aware of the insects I can give her. I am talking about meats I can use. Like can I get raw boneless turkey or chicken and give it in small amounts?

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photos! Can you get some leaves/bark/similar to put on top of the substrate, it will help stop it drying out too quickly? I don`t think this is a "she", because in my experience girls LOVE having their picture taken.... ;)

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

No lean meats, though as a rare treat they won't do any harm, whole prey are what`s best without doubt!
    It really isn`t about the variety so much as the nutritional value of the foods we offer.

9. ReptileCutie

I assumed a she. Due to a thin face and neck when I got her but I think that was cause of the bad conditions she was in at the pet shop. It doesn't like pictures at all and honestly I hope it is a male. Males always seem to like me better my male beardie is extremely protective over me, and the egg laying can be worrisome. Especially from a monitor I already have to deal with it cause my female beardie. I was very curious about the leave/bark litter. I have pine and oak trees in my yard. Could I get the oak leaves and bag them for about a week then use?

10. ReptileCutie

Oh yes. I completely forget. WHOLE PREY, the nutrition comes from the bones guts and organs. Thanks. I can get minows from my cricket supplier?

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Oak leaves are excellent, but NOT Pine.
    And yes, try the minnows (if they`re captive bred), wild caught I wouldn`t risk.

12. ReptileCutie

Yes all of his bait is captive bred. So ill definetly buy some. I would NEVER use pine, I'm allergic myself. So wouldn't do that. Thanks again

13. ReptileCutie

Do I need to bag and dry the leaves out? Or put them in there green? I feel like the green leaves will cause to much moisture and allow molds or mildew to grow. And I heard them drying in the cage can cause an awful smell.

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, just empty them into the enclosure as they come, it only takes day or two for them to dry out if still green (fresh).