This Disappears When Logged In

Savannah Monitor Handling

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by MonitorNoob, Oct 3, 2017.

1. MonitorNoob

MonitorNoob Member

Hi, i've had a savannah monitor for awhile now and have read from several sources on how to properly go about handling a savannah monitor only to get many different answers. What I'd like to know is what is the best way to have a happy, holdable savannah.

2. Jacob Eddy

Jacob Eddy Active Member

Letting it out of the cage a lot will help. Not Having ample room to move around within the cage will make it unhappy. What the dimensions of the cage

3. MonitorNoob

MonitorNoob Member

The cage dimensions are 5×2×3, but this is only temporary as I plan on building him a 8×4×4 setup.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Please stop offering "advise" on subjects that at this time you have no experience with, your response will cause a huge amount of stress to the animal.

Dbld420 likes this.
  5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, the short answer is that the only method of trying to gain their "trust" is with lots of time and patience, even then there are no guarantees.
    Can you show a few photos of the current enclosure and give details of the conditions?

6. MonitorNoob

MonitorNoob Member

1507051641915-492252227.jpg 1507050776660791151153.jpg
    Sorry for the poor picture quality. As for conditions the surface temp 130 air temp is 85 and humidity is 60. I have two 60watt par38 halogen flood bulbs for heat spanning his entire length as well as a zoo med 10.0 uvb bulb.he has a large water dish and his soil is 70% organic topsoil and 30% playsand.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photos and details. I think the temps etc sound o.k, I take it you`re using digital gauge/s and a Temp-gun to measure with? Is the top completely covered?
    Sorry, another edit: What are you feeding and how big is the monitor (without force handling)?

8. MonitorNoob

MonitorNoob Member

The top is completely covered. I feed him mostly crickets with supplements and occasionally I give him the San Diego diet. I would say with a rough easement he's between 10 or 11 in.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You haven`t said what you use to measure the temps and humidity or if the UVB bulb is a compact?
    I would advise against offering any "mixes" (such as the SD zoo diet), stick to whole prey only, and for the most part inverts. Supplements are mostly pure guesswork, some of no benefit, make sure you feed the feeders well.
    If the monitor is around 12 inches in length it`s possible (even if not likely) that it could be sexually mature and if female will require suitable nesting, which you cannot provide in this fishtank.

10. MonitorNoob

MonitorNoob Member

I use a Cuisinart IR temp gun. The uvb is compact and I do feed the feeder insects well. Fruits veggies and store bought cricket feed. Also im sure its a male as it has a more angular snout and a thicker tail base.

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The compact UVB bulbs are not very efficient, they only emitt UVB over a very small area, much better are the tubes such as Arcadia or Zoo-Med HO (high output) @ 10-0 or 12-0 fitted with a reflector and approx 2/3rds the enclosure length.
    You have a 50% chance that it is a male and a 50% it isn`t.
    How are you measuring the ambient temps and humidity?

12. MonitorNoob

MonitorNoob Member

Where would you suggest I get a Zoo Med HO that would be 2/3 the size of a 8×4×4 setup. The ambient temp is being measured by a cheap stick on temp gauge and until recently I was using a humidity gauge I bought from home depot but it broke last week.

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Then at this time you/we have no idea what the ambient temps or humidity range are, it`s most important you get accurate readings of both.
    If you want to use the UVB tubes the easiest way to get them approx 2/3rds the enclosure length @ 8 feet would be to use 2 x 3 feet long tubes (in a line). The main point is that the monitor needs to be able to retreat from the UVB at times, hence not having a tube the full length of the tank (not that they sell 8ft long UVB tubes anyway)!