This Disappears When Logged In

Savannah Monitor Care Sheet

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Rich, May 28, 2012.

1. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`ve had several letters from Alexyi in the past, he doesn`t work with Varanids these days, he said when Russia broke up they considered his type of study was pretty much worthless (so no more funding), and he was looked on as a second class citizen, which is a great pity all round, he`s done some excellent work, and up until quite recently he was studying Lacerta lizards in the Caucasus mountains, he sent me a dvd of a small colony, he found they had very interesting social structures, though not quite to the extent in some respects as Varanids (he funds these studies himself).
    He`s published numerous articles, some in Russian, but a few in English, I`ll look through them and put the titles up, I`m not sure if they`re available to view online, but any decent library should be able to get copies, if not I`d be more than happy to mail them to you at no extra charge (free, no obligation, yours to keep forever)!

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Wayne, I`m glad you agree with that, the point is they have adaptations that enable them to travel relatively large distances with ease, if they (the wide ranging forager types) cannot do that for whatever reason it must have a physical effect on their health, just the same as ourselves, if we don`t get sufficient excercise our condition deteriorates (mentally, too).
    If you have a tractable monitor, particularly the larger types, I`m sure it does benefit them to have "outside" time (not necessarily outdoors), it`s all stimulation.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Wayne, I`m not suggesting the animal is half starved! Judging by the many photos/videos you post it seems to me as if you rarely if ever feed to satiation, and yet it`s o.k to do that on a regular basis (I`m not suggesting daily once out of the juvenile/faster growth stage). How easy is it to notice if an animal is becoming overweight and reduce the ammount of food accordingly.
    I accept when you haven`t been doing this too long and see pics/films of them in the wild looking at times as if they haven`t had a decent meal in months it can be confusing, because you might believe that`s how they`re "meant" to look even after feeding to satiation, it isn`t (obviously there are some naturally very slender species).