This Disappears When Logged In

Savannah Monitor Care Sheet

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Rich, May 28, 2012.

1. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

2. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

You forgot to mention the fact that savannah monitors don't consume rodents in the wild. I will not support this care sheet.

3. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

Are any of those enclosures on the caresheet the proper 8' x 4' x 4'? Or are they for varying types of monitors? I haven't seen an enclosure that large and was curious to see one.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I can see this becoming a hot topic. Last I knew, V. exanthematicus did eat rodents in the wild (as determined by the presence of rodent hairs in stools), but the incidence was very very uncommon, and not to be considered a staple.

Petejones662 likes this.
  5. BarelyBreathing

Of all the studies that examined the stomach contents or excrement of savannah monitors, ONE study showed up with ONE savannah monitor eating ONE rodent, ONCE. People eat toilet paper, couches, and paper clips. That doesn't mean that people should be eating these objects.

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Those are for varying types of monitors. I don't believe any are for Savs.
    Infernalis has that size for his Savs. I can't locate the threads right now.

7. Rich

I have to ammended the feeding section of the care guide to include an excerpt from a discussion with Daniel Bennett. The original chat logs are linked as well.

8. BarelyBreathing

Isn't that the conversation where Daniel Bennett guides people to force handle their monitors, too?

9. Rich

If you don't like the caresheet, don't use or share it. He actually says that inverts are their primary food. If you have scientific evidence that says they shouldn't eat rodents I am all for seeing it and linking it. If you don't, then why do you consistently feel the need to side comment everything? I don't know if that's the same chat and I don't care if that's the same chat since I didn't quote anything about handling, now did I? Either quote some material for me to link or simply move on. Where are you getting your information? Start linking info.

Petejones662 likes this.
  10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

We have submitted just a small contribution in the hope we can pass a little of our experience and knowledge onto the newcomers who buy these animals every year, the overwhelming majority of which die within a very short space of time.
    And once again you tell a lie, BarelyBreathing; they DO consume rodents in the wild, even if in only a tiny percentage of the animals studied to date.

11. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

The fact is that scientific research in Savannah monitors is not totally conclusive nor complete. Studies were not done on all populated areas.
    The other fact is that Savs have been raised and bred on rodent based diets as well as invertebrate diets. Both said parties agree that the enclosure setup is the most important part regardless of which diet is followed.

12. Wolfbandit

Wolfbandit Elite Member

Unless I'm wrong, wasn't one of the studies done on Varanus exanthematicus AND V. albigularis before there was a distinction between the two? I would like to think that we are smarter today, but who's to say this isn't still happening today by accident?

I've been doing a LOT of reading to make sure I can provide the absolute best care for my savvy and have decided to give him an occasional rodent.

If savvys aren't opportunistic eaters, they'd eat what's good for them. If they only eat invertebrate diets, then why on earth would a savvy chose the dead rodent opposed to the fish, worms, crickets, snails, etc... that he's offered and is 'supposed' to eat. And when I say offered, I normally throw a couple different types of food into his cage at once so he can pick and chose what he wants to eat.

13. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

My opinion on this is monitors come to depend on a regular food source. They learn it is available and works so they use it. Savannahs would have to outcompete with other species for rodents. Instead they have baseball sized snails and 12 inch long centipedes to feed on. (may be exageratted. I don't know) No need to compete for a rodent. They learn snails and crickets are easy and usually don't divert to alternative food sources unless necessary. I think this is supported in captivity also, at least in my experience. It is a pain to get a monitor that is fed a single food item to change to another without inducing a few days hunger.

14. Killerwhale

Killerwhale Member

Well to put it into human perspective offering a savannah a rodent is comparable to you eating a big ol' cheeseburger with fries and a drink instead of getting the salad with water. The hamburger is definitely going to taste better, is it going to kill you? No. Is it okay to eat in moderation? Absolutely. Does it still have nutritional value? Of course. If you choose to feed your varanids rodents it's totally up to you and given the proper husbandry and like I said moderation, it can be a nutritional meal for your savannah.

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, in what sense is a wholesome, nourishing meal (rodent) similar to a hamburger (commonly called "junk food")?
    You also say if one chooses to feed captive Varanids rodents, it`s o.k in moderation. Is that all species, and if yes, why?

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, as long as you fully support the monitor he/she will thrive (even if you offer some rodents), if you do not support the animal, even an all invert diet will lead to an early death. It`s plain old common sense if you think about it (the conditions)! ;)

17. Rich

This is what the notation says, word for word:

un·nat·u·ral [uhn-nach-er-uhl, -nach-ruhl]

adjective

1. contrary to the laws or course of nature.
    2. at variance with the character or nature of a person, animal, or plant.
    3. at variance with what is normal or to be expected: the unnatural atmosphere of the place.
    4. lacking human qualities or sympathies; monstrous; inhuman: an obsessive and unnatural hatred.
    5. not genuine or spontaneous; artificial or contrived: a stiff, unnatural manner.

If anything else needs clarification please let me know.

18. BarelyBreathing

I'm not lying, Murrindindi, and the personal insults needed to stop MONTHS ago. And if you're going to argue that savannah monitors DO take them in the wild, I personally know of TWICE as many savannah monitors (yes, two, and I bet there are a plethora of others) who have swallowed pencils than wild monitors who have been found to eat rodents.

According to Rich's definition, rodents fit in the category of unnatural.

19. Killerwhale

Killerwhale Member

Hello murrindindi, are rodents and hamburgers really that different? Both are high in fat as well as protein. In my opinion rodents can be considered a junk food if given over frequently but when given in moderation they can be as you say, a whole meal. As I said though, this is just my opinion.

20. Scottk

Scottk Active Member

Reptiles are opportunistic eaters, I guarantee if there's a hungry sav out there and a rodent comes across his path that rodent is going to be lunch. Just my 2 cents.