This Disappears When Logged In

Savannah Monitor Adult Enclosure Build!!

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Jlb34, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Jlb34

Jlb34 Active Member

This weekend I will be starting his adult enclosure. It will be 8'x4'x4'10". I will post more pictures of build as it develops!

Attached Files:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, good luck, can`t wait to see many, many photos! ;)

3. Jlb34

Jlb34 Active Member

Yes! Start build this Saturday!

image.png image.jpeg Here a pic of Leonardo <<<my son picked the name. Had him for about four months now. He loves to dig tunnels off of his turtle shell as the main hub lol

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2016
  4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photo, what type of heat/lighting are you using and what are the ambient and surface temps plus the humidity range, and how are you measuring those?
    Obviously you`re about to build the new enclosure but I would still advise you increase the basking area size, it looks as if it`s hardly large enough to cover the animal`s SV length, and it`s extremely important that the basking bulbs (the heat) covers at least the snout to vent evenly.
    I`d also like to ask about the diet and the monitor`s size right now?

I have a digital thermo-hygrometer and his humidity runs from 45-70% and runs 90% in his hide. His basking spot runs 130 and is checked with a infrared gun. Cold side runs 79 degrees and hot side runs 90 and in his hid temp is 75 degrees.
    I feed him Dubai Roaches, super worms, fresh water hole shrimp, grasshoppers, and occasional salmon with vitamins mixed in. He is 14 inches long.

Basking bulbs are one 100w and one 75w plus on the other side of tank has 2 UVB bulbs. The brands are zoo med.

Hi again, thanks for more details. At 14 inches ToL (total length) it`s quite possible if not likely the monitor is already sexually mature, if female you need to provide a suitable basking site (preferably the whole floor space) the substrate you have now is very unlikely to be suitable. Much better to use a soil/playsand mix, it should be very firmly tamped down and slightly moist and heated throughout to between approx. 27 to 30c (80 to 85f), being cooler towards the bottom of the enclosure (that should happen normally anyway).
    I think you need to start offering some vertebrate prey (including rodents), inverts are fine but they need supplementation which is for the most part pure guesswork, some of no benefit, vertebrates don`t need supplementing.

5. Jlb34

Jlb34 Active Member

Yeah I am going to go with that soil sand mix for his big cage and was reading on some post you said about cutting the Fuzzies in half while frozen. He should be male and that is what I requested from the breeder. But time will tell

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can I ask you how much you paid for the monitor and are you sure it was captive born and bred?
    Edit: You can also offer fertilised quail eggs on a regular basis as well as small freshwater fish if you can get them.

7. Jlb34

Jlb34 Active Member

I paid around $80 and it was from backwater reptiles so no clue.

8. Jlb34

Jlb34 Active Member

Here is a pic of what I did to gain trust and boy it was rewarding!!!!!!

Here are some pics of him and maybe you can tell if he is a he lol

Are these the type of lights you use?

Attached Files:

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes, I use that type but a different brand, I expect those will be fine.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can you crop the 2nd pic (with the monitor on your knee) and zoom into the tailbase, I`m looking for a shot like this... 7833916556_ed504a68a1_z_zpswrcetqru.jpg

For $80 it`s HIGHLY unlikely the animal was captive born and bred, I also doubt very much the dealer had any idea what the gender is (but if you say you prefer a male they`ll say they`ll send one). ;)

11. Jlb34

Jlb34 Active Member

Here is the close up photo. image.jpeg

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I should also have asked for a couple of head shots both in profile and from above, plus another tailbase shot similar to one shown but with the tail not on a downward angle, rather straight out (but still not resting on anything).
    My first thought (guess) would be female....
    Would it also be possible to get either a pic or short video of the monitor walking along?

13. Jlb34

Jlb34 Active Member

Some reason I can't get videos to up load from my phone.

14. Jlb34

Jlb34 Active Member

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Sorry, can`t help I`m hopeless at getting videos up, but keep trying (I usually download mine to Photobucket).

16. Jlb34

Jlb34 Active Member

Here is another up close pic. image.jpeg

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I still think female but a couple of head shots might also help.

18. Jlb34

Jlb34 Active Member

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Still thinking female..... Quite possibly sexually mature, too.
    It`s nice when they come to you! :)

20. Jlb34

Jlb34 Active Member

Started the bottom half !!! image.jpeg