This Disappears When Logged In

Sav Has Bad Shed

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by Mushu4Lindsey, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Mushu4Lindsey

Mushu4Lindsey New Member

Okay here is some background information- my Sav is ab 18 inches long and in a 6x2.5x2.5 wooden enclosure with sliding glass doors. His basking spot is about 120 under the light and thatsid is ab 90. His cool side is about 78. Using aspen substrate for now. I want to go to sand/soil mixture but not sure what to use.
    So my question is, how can I increase the humidity? He has a huge water bowl on the cool side but he has been shedding for 3 weeks. I don't have a hydrometer yet but plan to get one. I know it's too low bc of his bad shed

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Have you considered getting a humidifier for his enclosure?

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, you can use a normal household humidifier, but the first thing to do is get a digital hygrometer, without that, you have no way of knowing what the humidity is. How are you measuring the ambient and surface temps (digital or analogue)? The analogue can be very inaccurate.
    Can you take a few photos and put them up? Thanks!

4. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Adding a deep sand/soil substrate is a great way to increase the humidity. I use a 60/40 mixture of Eco Earth and children's washed play sand for my monitors.

5. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

Yes that enclosure is close but still off to maintain a healthy happy Sav..

Your choice of substrate is not conducive to maintaining humidity, if you add a humidifier, there will be mold growing on your aspen in a week.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

How will the OP add a deep substrate in a tank only 2.5ft tall, even 30cm (12inches) will only leave 45cm (18inches) space?
    And though a humidifier isn`t the answer as such, it WILL work temporarily, and a cool-air on a timer (10 to 15 mins an hour) will NOT cause mold in a week (personal experience), not to mention, if the large water bowl already installed is placed on the warm side, that will help raise the humidity, too.

7. BarelyBreathing

Hopefully the OP is working on a more suitable permanent enclosure for their monitor.

8. Mushu4Lindsey

Mushu4Lindsey New Member

Is my enclosure too small? Can I just add sand/soil mixture to one side so he can burrow in it? I am using analogue but my friend just told me they will give me their digital hydrometer/thermometer tomorrow.
    Thanks for the input!

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

We all hope so, perhaps together we can prevent this monitor becoming just another statistic.... ;)

10. BarelyBreathing

Minimum enclosure size should be 8x4x4. Most people know how I feel about this, though. My thoughts are that the enclosure dimensions should follow these guidelines:
    Length of the enclosure should be three times the length of the grown monitor.
    Width of the enclosure should be twice the length of the grown monitor.
    Height of the enclosure depends on species. For a savannah monitor, that means you want it to be tall enough to hold two feet of substrate. This really isn't an option. Four feet is a good height for a savannah, but five is better. That gives you a great amount of room for substrate depth, and room to build on top of that. You can add a Rete's stack (google it) for proper basking (you want your surface basking temperature to be 130f, measured digitally), plus some fun things for your monitor to climb on.

11. BarelyBreathing

And yes, you can add the sand/soil mixture in there now. It will help. Just make a hill on the side opposite of the basking area.

12. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

I'm with you there Stefan...

13. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

Here is a good idea of the minimum size needed for a Sav enclosure...

http://www.herpcenter.com/general-construction/39397-my-overbuilt-savannah-monitor-enclosure.html

There is enough room for five people to sit in there with the monitor and the door closed.

[​IMG]

14. Mushu4Lindsey

Mushu4Lindsey New Member

Yes, like I said my monitor is 18 inches and we built this enclosure a couple months ago and plan on ultimately building an 8x4x4 for his permanent enclosure in a few months. So my question was, can I just put the sand/soil mix on one side of the cage for now until I get one tall enough to fill with 2 ft of substrate? He loves to dig so I know he will burrow in it and keep moist, but will it significantly increase humidity?

15. BarelyBreathing

Yes, it will help.

16. Mushu4Lindsey

Mushu4Lindsey New Member

Oh I didn't see your comment where you said to make a hill of it-thank you

17. BarelyBreathing

No problem. Good luck!