This Disappears When Logged In

Sanitizing Outside Branches?

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by PrincessPiper, Jun 22, 2012.

1. PrincessPiper

PrincessPiper Well-Known Member

Ok, I need some tips. I have two beautiful, perfect branches from outside that will go perfect in my RT Boa's cage. The only thing is, is the fact that they are huge! (they are the size of my 55 gallon) so I cannot bake them or boil them. I soaked them in the bathtub for a few hours with a teeny bit of bleach, so little that you couldn't even smell it in the water. I took them out and laid them out in the sun. I'm wondering if this is enough? I smelled the branches and they smell icky, but i'm thinking that that will go away when they are dry.

Do I need to peel the bark off and sand them down or will they be fine? They are from my yard so there is no insecticide but there may be bugs which is why I soaked it in the bathtub.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Look it over and inspect it. Don't need to be so particular about it.
    Give it a good baking in the sun and dry it out.
    Would look good if you peeled it as well but might be more slippery.

3. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

If you're really concerned, make a bleach solution in a spray bottle (1.5oz bleach/32oz water) and spray it down. Let it soak 5 minutes, then spray it again. After 5 minutes, rinse very thoroughly, then place out in the sun to dry.

With most branches, you don't really need to do all of that, but if it makes you feel better, you can. That is the right bleach solution for cleaning most anything, so if you need to clean a water dish, tank, or any other such thing, that's the way to do it.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  4. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

5. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

When I have bigger branches, I fill a plastic tub with bleach/water and put 1/2 on the log at a time. If the bark is still on and "peelable" it will take a little longer to dry.

6. PrincessPiper

PrincessPiper Well-Known Member

They are out of my own yard so i'm not too worried. We don't use any pesticides.

7. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

If it has bark it sounds like it may be "green." In other words fresh and not cured like driftwood. Truly sanitizing something like that might not be really feasible and you might run into more problems such as mold due to the amount of moisture and other biological factors.