This Disappears When Logged In

sandiego zoo...TAUTARAS! and more

Discussion in 'Herp Photos' started by caudalis_sa, May 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

Well today i went to sandiego zoo while i am here in sandiego. The place is amazing and got many once in a lifetime looks at some crazy herps.Thought i will share some pics

Got to see tuataras!....if you guys don't know what they are:eek: (i hope not haha)....research it, all herpers should know about these guys! i have alays dreamed of seeing one...and today i did. These lizardlooking living dinosaurs are awesome and the setup they were in....even more. some pics of em... and the crazy high security setup [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I also got to checkout some sweet indian garials..these things were so intelligent and are even trained! gnarly looking teeth though! [​IMG][​IMG]

I also thought this fiji banded iguana was also really cool. these tings are highly protected... [​IMG]

enjoi!

2. The D

The D Mango Empress

ug so cool! you lucky man going to see all the cool stuff ::grumbles::

3. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Wow the colors on that iguana are amazing!
    Question: is the high security fencing on the Tautaras to keep them in or keep people out? (Reminded me of "Jurassic Park")

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

YOU GOT TO TOUCH THEM! That is soooo not fair!

5. venus

venus Founding Member

The Figi is beautiful. Looks like you had a great time :)

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

WOW! Getting to handle a tuatara (yes I know what they are!:p ) AND a fiji iguana!
    Lucky stiff!;)
    Andrea the fencing is to keep people, (or should I say thieves) out. Tuataras are highly protected and would be worth a pretty penny on the black market!

7. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Tautaras are amazing,,,,they have found fossils of them that are estimated to be 170 million years old that are vertually identical to modern ones. The fiji's to me are one of the most beautiful of herps. We finally got a pair here at our local zoo and to my knowledge all of them in the U.S. are actually owned by the Fijian government,,,they loan them and if they breed the babbies become property of the government. Both species would indeed be worth alot on the black market. what an awesome experience Dev.

8. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

IF Figis would ever become available, I would want one...they are absolutely gorgeous....IM also jealous that you got to hold one....lucky bum....

9. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

yeah ken is correct...they all belong to the Fijian government. And the tautaras....yip the high security is to keep people out lol. these tautaras the only ones outside of the place where they occur. The only ones in captivity

10. StoneSour

StoneSour Elite Member

Wow!!!! You are one lucky guy. I have also dreamed of laying eyes on Tautaras and the Fiji banded iguanas in person. You actually got to hold them soo cool:eek: :) . I am soo jealous lol. Thanks for sharing:)

11. Airion

Airion Elite Member

Im soooo jealous. You just have to kill us who can't go and see those things.Thanks for the cool pics though.

12. dan_rump

dan_rump Elite Member

wow... the iguana is amazing... i LOVE those colors and have never seen one like that before. and the garials are awesome to. :) and how do the fiji do in captivity??? i've never seen them before... just heard of the talk

13. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

I've been there three times. The Gharial keeper is a nice guy. I was there last in 2004.

When did they get the Fijis and Tuataras?

Ken: Sphenodonts are very old indeed. There's some large apparently aquatic forms too! Basically Sphenodonts were 'replaced' by modern radiations of lizards, starting in the maastrichtian or camptian (or lets just call it Late Cretaceous, lol). I betcha that their slower growth and lower metabolisms were a disadvantage at the extinction event.

14. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

wow those are so awesome! i've never seen them before thanks very much for sharing such great pics. lucky you. :)

15. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

no worries...haha next week you will start to get the good ol southafrican pics coming back lol...argh but just remembered it is winter there now.

16. JustJames76

JustJames76 Elite Member

I wonder if anyone would notice if I clunked him in the back of the head, put on a wig, and took his place on his next herp adventure. :D Lucky dog gets all the cool trips. LOL. If I ever make it to south Africa, I'm going to harrass you into giving me the royal herp tour.

17. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

no doubt! haha does not take to much to get me to go herping lol...just a phone call

18. Anole-guy

Anole-guy Member

Very cool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.