This Disappears When Logged In

sand

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Herpewanabe, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't know of many people using dirt of any herps, yet again it is a risk for impaction, as is any particulate, and alot of soil comes with fertilizers mixed in, or vermiculite which are both deterimental to the herps. I do know a guy who sucessfully uses dirt/leaf littler with his monitors, but he feeds outside of the habitat and they have large areas without dirt.

What are you talking about keeping on it again?

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I keep my CWD and MHD on peat moss, but I feed them outside of the enclosure so I dont need to worry about impaction. Have you considered repticaroet or slate rocks?

3. Herpewanabe

Herpewanabe Elite Member

what about like half repti carpet(where there food water is etc..) and a small area for their hide and all that where its like a soft soil orsomething but packed so its not super loose?(just ideas)

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

well youre gonna be feeding it food that moves, crix and mealworms and other insects that are'nt gonna stay on the carpet, i would just get a feeding box and feed outside of the enclosure, its whats easiest and what I do for all of my herps

5. Wrecker

Wrecker Member

I have 2 beardies, and I use a crushed walnut shell... not sure what everybody else thinks but to me it looks fairly natural and because its a crushed shell, if it is ingested they can break it down to pass it.

Maybe this will help you...

6. venus

venus Founding Member

I have also switched to of my tanks over to that Wrecker..the others are still shelf lining. It does look natural and as long as you are putting juvies to adults on it, I dont forsee any problems.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

My understanding of the crushed walnut shell is that its as bad or worse than sand. The crushed fragments have many tiny sharp edges. And the shell is too tough to digest.

8. venus

venus Founding Member

The crushed walnut shell i have are all small round pieces. They have been on it for several months now with no problems and trust me no impaction..their food is in bowls which sits on large tile pieces so no concern for them eating it. If the beardie is well fed and well hydrated there should be no reason for them to eat it.

9. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

I have the same idea as Merlin from stuff I read here and there. Even if it's round, it's too hard to digest.

10. venus

venus Founding Member

No worries, to each his own opinion :), like I said, I have only been using it a short time, I monitor the beardies and have not seen any problems thus far...if it doesnt work out,,I'll switch back to shelf liner.

11. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Crushed walnut shells are the equal to small tiny rocks. Any questions?

12. venus

venus Founding Member

lmao...whoa..i just looked behind me and seems to be missing some backside...just so you know..I get what your saying and I'll switch back to shelfliner :p..my animals mean more to me than my ego.;)

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

We knew that!:D ;)

14. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I used walnut shell, until Zola's poop started looking more like walnut shells and less like poop....I'm pretty adamant about not using particulates anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.