This Disappears When Logged In

Sand

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by tuffgi2001, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuffgi2001

tuffgi2001 Elite Member

I am getting 3 Horny Toads (Desert Horned Lizards) this week. Their enclosure needs sand. Now I can buy it from the pet store, but we are talking at least 100 bucks. I can go down to the dried up river (now a storm river) and take some sand from there but I need to know how I would sterilize it. Would I bake it or what. I know the sand is OK as there are LOTS of reptiles that live down there including Horny Toads. Also gonna need sand for my ant colony which will be their food. If I buy that sand, I could easily be looking at a couple hundred bucks so it would be great if I could get sand from down there. Would save me A LOT of money.

(NOTE: Just for those that don't know much about Horny Toads and hate sand, it is important to understand that Horny Toads must have sand. They sleep burrowed in it, they hunt burrowed in it, and they hibernate burrowed in it. They are not climbers, they enjoy covering everything but their heads in sand becoming virtually invisible)

Thanks in advance for help

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Go to Lowes or Home depot and get yourself some play sand. What is it? $5 a bag?

3. tuffgi2001

tuffgi2001 Elite Member

Really, I could do that ;) Will the ants still be able to tunnel in it???

4. tuffgi2001

tuffgi2001 Elite Member

And on a bit of a side note, anybody know how many ants a queen will birth every day?

5. venus

venus Founding Member

The ants wont tunnel in if you dont have any in the tank. Do you have them around the tank.

6. schlegelbagel

Wouldn't ants prefer something hard packed so they can tunnel? I have no idea, I'm wondering...

7. tuffgi2001

tuffgi2001 Elite Member

I don't have any at the moment Venus. Could you please clarify your question. Don't quite understand what you mean.

8. schlegelbagel

I think she is trying to find out if you are keeping the ant colony in the same tank as the lizard?

9. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Also, if you do go the pet store route make sure you don't buy calcium sand, it's junk.

10. tuffgi2001

tuffgi2001 Elite Member

Ohhhh, noo; the ant colony will be separate in the garage. They would kill my Horny Toads if I tried keeping the together.

I am going to get playground sand. The place I am buying the colony of ants and horny toads said that is what they use and it works out fairly well.

11. tuffgi2001

tuffgi2001 Elite Member

Even though I am buying playground sand, should I still disinfect the sand in the oven before just to be safe. If so, do I treat it like a log; 350 degrees for 30 mins or could I do it for 15 mins?

12. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

Ants would tunnel in sand easily. Would just have to keep it moist so it can be packed and stick together.

Ants live in the dry desert sand where the horny toads come from too :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.