This Disappears When Logged In

Sand Substrate

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by NowAndNever91, Apr 3, 2010.

1. NowAndNever91

NowAndNever91 Elite Member

I just recently got a Bearded Dragon and right now I have reptile carpet in her tank, but I was wondering about different types of sand substrate that I could use in the future?
    I know about impaction and what not, but some brands of sand substrate claim to be digestible, doesn't cause impaction, and has vitamins and/or calcium in it.
    Just wondering if anyone knows if this substrate is still a caution?
    If not does anyone know of any good brands of sand substrate that matches the description above?

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

No sand is acceptable. The calci-sand (sp?) is some of the worst stuff you can use. Your best bet is slate or some other non particulate substrate.

3. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

The "digestible" stuff is the worst out there. Unfortunately particulates just aren't safe. Steve's got a good suggestion though, I use slate for my beardie.

4. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

Calci-sand/play sand..
    "All "ingestible" sands are dangerous. Washed playsand is much more likely to pass through the digestive tract of an animal that accidentally ingests some as opposed to intentionally eating Vita or Calci sand which smells like something the animal needs in it's diet (calcium).

The shape of the individual grains is another safety issue. If examined under a microscope, artificial sands like Vita and Calci sand, resemble jagged puzzle pieces. These pieces are more likely to sift down the animals digestive tract and lock together forming a blockage that can't be passed. Natural sand however, resembles small, smooth pebbles. These "pebbles" will pass much more easily and are therefore less likely to cause impaction."

So a definate NO to manufactured sand and that is what most of it is that is sold at your pet stores..:)

And I think it is stated that many Beardie keepers don't put their young on any kind of sand untill they reach adult stage..

5. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

While all of this is true, I think the key words for the play sand is LESS LIKELY. Even as an adult there IS the possibility of them becoming impacted with sand no matter what kind it is. In my opinion it isn't worth the risk to keep any animal on sand of any kind.

6. NowAndNever91

Ok, I'll stick to the reptile carpet for now and then switch to something more natural like slate. Having her enclosure look more natural with sand isn't worth the risk! Did you buy the slate stuff at pet stores, I was just wondering because the PetSmart down here always looks like it's about to go out of buisiness lol....and I don't know if I can find slate unless I go on the mountains lol

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Check your nursery/garden/landscaping places.
    Unless you just want another excuse to go to the mountains.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

If you do buy slate at a pet store, you are going to be forking over a MOUNTAIN of money!

The landscapers really are the best places. Half the time, when I go to my local one, and only need a piece or two of rock, they don't even charge me! I don't carry cash, so they waived my 23 cent purchase last time because it wasn't worth charging or writing a check for.

Some of the nicer hardware stores that have a yard/garden section might carry some too.

If for some reason, you can't find slate, the indoor/outdoor carpet might be a workable option until you can.

9. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

As stated above....local landscaping places are the usually the best bet.....however, if you don't have access to one, keep in mind Home Depot and Lowe's stores will also carry slate/tile...and an advantage of the Home Depot/Lowe's type store, is that they will also cut it for you if needed...(most slate tiles come in 12 x12 inch squares...but if you want smaller pieces, they will cut them smaller for you.)

10. NowAndNever91

Oh yeah! I forgot all about Lowes, lol I bet it would be cheaper too! Thanks for reminding me! I'll check that place out, a couple of other places, and then I'll go to the mountains if everything fails :D

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

There are geodes in the mountains too, mixed in with the slate. How nice would those look in a terrarium?

12. NowAndNever91

I feel stupid, but I have no Idea what "geodes" are lol
    Overall, if I got something from the top of the mountains here I would be sure to clean it well. (The caresheets on this website helped me out last time when I was cleaning drift wood :) )
    I'll be sure to check Lowes first! Thanks for all the help everyone! :)

13. NowAndNever91

Oh! I just googled it lol!
    I think it would look pretty cool :D
    I've never seen anything like that from our mountains... Maybe in gift shops..., but not found first hand.

14. Ashuresque

Ashuresque Elite Member

I remember being a car driving through some of the Appalachian, all I could think about was wanting to get out and picking up some of that slate to put in an enclosure... haha

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Beautiful aren't they? I got mine when we were house-boating in the Dalehollow and Cumberland lakes. No amethyst geodes or anything that exciting, just small quartz geodes.

16. NowAndNever91

I could probly find something cool like that on a mountain near by, the whole mountain top is completly bald and nothing but rock. My friends and I went up there last summer and found a lot of cool lookin fossils, but no geodes... The closest to anything we've found like that was a rock with white, sparkly, speckles on it.lol