This Disappears When Logged In

Sand For A Boa?

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by StalkingDeath, Oct 7, 2012.

1. StalkingDeath

StalkingDeath Member

I have been wanting a more natural looking cage for a while because I am tired of the sterile look. I considered everything but I am thinking of sand the most. I dont feed my snake in the cage because I find it easier to monitor his feeding behavior outside his cage so Im not worried about the sand being ingested. I will monitor him closely and if he is showing any signs of impaction or other problems that might be linked to the sand, I will immeadiantly take him off it. And also, if I use sand, can I still use my UTH? Thx

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

If your going to use sand use the roundest one you can find. Around here we get sand from Monterey and it's nice and rounded, less abrassion.

I always had terra cotta tiles over my heat pads when I was breeding and that really took out some issues with hot spots.

3. StalkingDeath

StalkingDeath Member

Thanks, I am looking for round, dust free sand at the moment. I was just worried about the substrate buffer.

4. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

I wouldnt do it if you are feeding in the tank. outside feeding? fine. inside, and it might get ingested. i'd also be concerned about humidity, so a large water dish and regular misting is a must.

Other than that, i can't think of any more issues, good luck to you :D

5. StalkingDeath

StalkingDeath Member

We already have the correct humidity needed for him. If it ever gets too low, I'll fix it. But now, humidity is ideal for him. And just making sure, I wont have a problem using the UTH with the sand?

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Is it for a Kenyan Sand Boa?

7. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

Waiiit, i thought you meant a boa constictor. what kind of boa is it, anyways? If it is a sand boa, sand is fine, and worrying about humidity is not really something most sand boa keepers do.

Anyways, i thought you meant boa constrictor, hence the humidity thing. the feeding inside vs outside thing still goes, though.

8. StalkingDeath

StalkingDeath Member

Yeah, a KSB. I was wondering why you worried about the humidity.

9. mld

Some people use sand and some use coco husk, paper towel, carefresh is becoming more popular!
    I think we have a few member who keep these guy, hopefully they will come by and help you out.

10. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Ive used all the above and really had no real trouble with any of them. Paper towels where for short term holdings but not more than a couple days, they really don't like the exposure :p

11. StalkingDeath

StalkingDeath Member

I currently have him on papertowel I tore to pieces and Im suprised to admit it holds burrows better than I expected... I had him on aspen once but took him off it when he got mites. I havent tried carefresh but again, Im trying to get a more natural look, not the sterile look.

12. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Does carefresh actually work for reptiles? I use it for my rats and i used to use it for my hamsters and ive always wondered if its actually safe and good to use with reptiles like the package says...

13. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

Not for lizards, torts, turts, or snakes fed inside the enclosure. it is ok for burrowing snakes that are fed out of the enclosure.

14. mld

I know people who use Carefresh for their snakes, its more expensive and comes in natural color which would be better than the colored stuff.

15. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

I use Carefresh for my 2 corns and rosy boa. They all get fed out of their enclosures but do enjoy burrowing through the bedding, especially my rosy, who burrows all the time and it holds his burrows well. If he happens to make the tunnels near the glass, I can see them. Or if he happens to make them elsewhere, I can usually see the entrance or exit to them. Been using it for many years with no issues. Makes it easy to spot clean too.