This Disappears When Logged In

Sand Boa Shedding

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by Melissa747, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

Okay so my male sand boa has looked to be in shed for the past week or 2 now but he hasn't shed yet.. and my female is also in shed but nothing has happened with her yet either.. how long does it take for them to shed?

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

This is a section on problem shedding for Sandboamorphs web site;

From link below

SandBoaMorphs.com: Care Sheets

3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

A moist hide at these time is invaluable :) I had a plastic lidded tub with a low hole filled with moistened paper towels. When I noticed them ready to shed I'd place it in the tank and let them do their thing, worked everytime.

4. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Moist hides are tough with snakes that need low humidity. My rosy boa doesn't really ever have problems with sheds, they need low humidity too. If he does I soak him for a little bit in a separate bin then return him to his enclosure.

Also, I don't know what you're using for substrate, but it's possible they already went through the shed and it's buried under the substrate. My rosy has done this many times.

5. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

I use aspen bedding. I know neither of them have shed because their skin color is beyond dull.
    Can I just put then in a plastic tub with some water and then put them back in their enclosure?

My male has refused food for a few weeks now... but my female is eating. Idk what's going on with him.

6. DarkMagician207

For soaking you mean? If so then you can use a plastic tub. I use one of those plastic critter keepers for mine. Don't fill it too high, they should be able to touch the bottom and sometimes it helps to put a washcloth or something down for them to have some traction. You don't want cold water, but you don't want it to be too hot either. See how they react to being in the tub. If it doesn't seem like they're going to like it, you can always put them in an old pillowcase with a damp (not dripping) towel and tie the pillow case shut then set that in the enclosure for a little while then take them out.

Has anything changed in your house or have you changed anything in the male's enclosure? Are they in a high traffic area of the house? My rosy goes off food for the winter around August and only started eating again last month.

Do they have anything in their enclosures to rub on to aide in shedding?

7. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

Nope, nothing has changed with either of their enclosures. They have just a water bowl and their bedding. I was told not to put any kind of accessory cause it could be too heavy and possibly hurt them. I have a small critter cage that I could use.

Just last night I put the female on damp paper towels in hopes that it would work.

Since she just fed yesterday.. I can probably put the male in the critter cage with some damp paper towels. I hope it works because they've been in shed for a while now. The skin hasn't even started coming off yet either.. They don't look to be uncomfortable they just look like they need it to happen! lol.

8. DarkMagician207

You could always use some plastic fake foliage or if you're worried about something being too heavy, bury it under the substrate. I'm not sure if it's the same way with sand boas as it is with rosy boas, but they may appreciate something to add cover besides the substrate and maybe a hide or two (if you don't have any). My rosy loves the fake plants in his enclosure, I think it helps with security. Hides can be simple too, all 3 of my snakes have either shoeboxes or tissue boxes and it seems to serve their purpose lol.

9. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

Yeah I shall figure something out. My male refused food again last night. This is going on 2 weeks now. How long can he go without food? When should I try feeding him again?

10. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

As long as he is not looking pinched at all and is drinking water, I would not worry to much about him after only 2 weeks. I'm had them go months without eating but they kept drinking and never looked "starved", ya I worried anyway but didn't do me much good lol. He will eat when he feels like it, probably after he sheds. Till that time I wouldn't even bother. My female on the other hand never refused food... ever... so was a handfull lol

11. DarkMagician207

Ditto on above post. As long as they're not losing alot of weight and are healthy a couple weeks won't hurt them. Sometimes my snakes will eat while in shed and other times they want nothing to do with food until after. Hopefully he will go through shed soon and may be more interested in food. :)

12. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

Yeah, I don't know what's going on with him! I checked on him yesterday and he seemed fine and he looked as though he MAY have shed but I can't really tell for sure. I haven't found any skin in his enclosure yet so..

He's so little for a male too.. I wanna try and bulk him up but he isn't cooperating with me at the moment!

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The dull appearance of a snake's skin will clear up a few days before they shed.
    It often fools people into thinking that they have shed and eaten the skin.
    Which they don't.

14. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

He shed!! He looks gorgeous! I'll post a photo of him tomorrow!

He's on the skinny side... I need to bulk him up. Any suggestions?

15. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Resisting the smart.. um... Butt reply :p

The one that that helped me with some problem eaters was to use a small tub, not much bigger that the snake could wrap around, and put the food and snake in it. At times I would even do this in the snakes tank so there was familier smells around him. Kenyans are not knowen for their eagle eye sight at time :p and having the food in contact in a safe place did the trick most of the time... Unless the bugger wanted to torture me for a while...

16. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

17. T42D1T4L14N

T42D1T4L14N Elite Member

Beautiful snakes! Glad the shed went well for Zazu! My python has been dull and looking like shes going to shed for about 2 weeks now. She ate last night so im hoping she sheds soon. lol She takes longer to shed than my boa does.

18. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

She'll probably shed soon! I'm hoping Zira does too. Zazu shed in about 2 weeks or so.

& Thank you! :D

19. DarkMagician207

That's good news about the shedding, hopefully she follows his example soon lol. :)

They're both very pretty and I love how shiny Zazu looks now.

20. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

They look just fine I would not worry at all about his eating habbits just yet.

Cute little buggers :)