This Disappears When Logged In

Sand Boa Help.

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by kevintj0913, Mar 6, 2014.

1. kevintj0913

kevintj0913 Member

Hello everyone. In November I bought a new sand boa. I noticed since I got the snake it is becoming harder to get it to eat and in the past months I haven't seen it come out at all. What should I do to get it to eat more and what can I do to possible get it to come out more often? The hot spot in the cage is around 100 on top of the bedding. His bedding is thick and there is plenty for it to burrow in. It hasn't eaten for two weeks, but the last time it actually ate he ate 3 pinkies. I have a rosy boa in a separate tank and I have no problem with feeding and my rosy is always out. Also, on a side note, is it ok to use radiant heat panels with these snakes? I am getting new cages for them from PVCcages.com and decided to get a RHP instead of using heat lamps since they are nocturnal and there is enough light during the day for them to have a normal light cycle. thanks for the help :)

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Lots of things can result in a sand boa not eating. One is being male... geeze... However, if you have not seen it recently the little guy could in shed. Some will hide for weeks while in shed... like males.. Males will use any excuse not to eat.... it gets old fast :p

Have you dug him up to see if he's changing colors, indicating shed. If not in shed one trick I used was feeding in a pitre dish or equivalent.

3. kevintj0913

kevintj0913 Member

yea I dig him out every do or every other day to check in on him, he just shed a month ago but might be in shed again. I do believe he is male as it isn't very round and there is a decent amount of tail behind the vent. when I dig him up he isn't in the same spot so I guess he moves around just never comes out.

4. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Sounding typical male to me :p

5. SandBoaMama

SandBoaMama Member

what are you trying to feed him?