This Disappears When Logged In

Sand and Impaction

Discussion in 'General' started by Toadie78, Dec 4, 2004.

?

Cause of Impaction Survey

Poll closed Jan 3, 2005.
  1. Calci-Sand: Juvie

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Calci-Sand: Sub-Adult

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Calci-Sand: Adult

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Playsand: Juvie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Playsand: Sub-Adult

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Playsand: Adult

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other Substrate: Juvie (please list type of substrate)

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  8. Other Substrate: Sub-Adult (please list type of substrate)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other Substrate: Adult (please list type of substrate)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Never have had a problem with sand (list type of sand and how long used)

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

Ok i want concrete evidence that sand causes impaction by which i mean i want to know who if anyone has ever had a reptile and more specifically a Leo that has had an impaction from being on sand and also the type of sand Please also list the age and size of the said Reptile

By calci-sand i mean all calcium based sand. and other substrates i mean particulate ones like walnut shell n such.....

PLEASE IF YOU CHOOSE A OTHER SUBSTRATE OPTION LIST THE SUBSTRATE TYPE IN A REPLY, Its needed to properly do my research....

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Are you talking about acute, chronic, or both? Acute is when they ingest a whole bunch at once and it blocks them up. Chronic the the gradual buildup of sand in the digestive system over years and it wears down the digestive tract. To the best of my knowledge, there really aren'y any symptoms for chronic until its extremely advanced.

3. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

I guess thats nother thing to put into account. Im not sure bout that....

4. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Most of the people who have reps with sand impactions don't even know their reps have the impaction. The ones that people notice are the acute. That's one of the worst things about sand. It could be harming your leo and you may not even know it.

5. cman

cman Elite Member

Hey

ya my Baby Leo when I first got him prolly about a year ago I had really no idea that I was going to get a leo so i didnt know anything about them cuz I was planning on a diff rep. but this just turned out to be the neat one at the time anyway the store helper guy told me this desert blend sand stuff was the best so I bought it at first he seemd to be fine but about 1 month later I realized he was eating it. and well to cut this story short after about 2 months after I got him he died from impaction. so ya I hope this helps bye

6. MoLdYpOtAtOe

MoLdYpOtAtOe Elite Member

My leos have not been impacted by sand, though once I used calci sand and other sands and when my gecko defacated his vent was poinkish red. That's when I stopped with the sand.

7. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

We've never had problems with particle substrate so far. We used calci-sand for our bearded dragons when they were younger, but switched to play sand because it was cheaper and finer. They are now on playsand, and in the past we have kept babies on it. Although now we keep our babies on paper towels, same with our young geckos. Our adult collared lizards are also on play sand.

8. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Yeah, I'm all for playsand for beardies, but against it for leos. Beardies are a lot bigger. Plus they come from an environment that's full of sand and dirt and dust.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention some ofn the other substartes I've seen cause impactions. Mostly gravel. Working in a crappy pet store, I've seen all sorts impactions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.