This Disappears When Logged In

Sam

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by thumper, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thumper

thumper New Member

Hi. my daughter just got a new Leopard Gecko and we're trying to find out more about them. Such as can they Hear and Taste, how good is the their eyesight, can they smell. There is allot of info on the web as to how to care for them and where they come from but I couldn't find allot about them biologically or about things they like or dislike and things that can hurt them. Any help is appreciated.

2. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Rich,,,Hello are you there???? lol.

I do not have the scientific answers to your questions. Other than yes they can taste, they can hear, how good their eyesight is, well I don't know that. It seems to me to be great as they can spot bugs very far away, lol.

Try looking at the caresheet for all the other questions, it will answer them for you.

I know that Rich keeps and breeds them at times so as far as the science of it, he should be able to answer that better!

Oh, and welcome to Herp Center!

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to HerpCenter!
    Yes, indeed, they can hear, smell, and taste. As for eyesight, its good enough for them to catch moving prey. They are nocturnal so their color perception is probably not very good.
    Lound noises and vibration will bother them as will smoke and other such vapors.
    If it bothers us,, it will bother them.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to Herp Center.

5. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Welcome to Herp Center. Make yourself at home here.

6. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am simply copying and pasting a section of the new caresheet I have been working on. This should answer most of your questions.

Ears: Geckos do indeed have ears. The clear tympanic membrane is clearly noticeable on the sides of the head. (See diagram above.) Do not be fooled by what appears to be a hollow ear canal, leopard geckos actually have good hearing. Their hearing ability is believed to aid them in the hunt for prey and to hear other geckos that may be in the general area. It can also assist them with eluding predators that may be in the area.

Taste: As you will notice, leopard geckos have an unusually long tongue. The tongue supports both taste and a secondary scent ability. Like snakes, the leopard gecko has a vomeronasal organ (Jacobson's organ). This organ is located below the nasal cavity in the palate of the mouth. As the gecko flicks it tongue into the air, and on surfaces, it is collecting air particles. When the tongue retracts, the particles that were collected come into contact with the vomeronasal organ and help to identify objects and items.

Eyes: Many gecko species are nocturnal. This means that they sleep most of the day and become active at night, or as the sun sets and rises. Leopard geckos are one of these species. Their vertical pupils expand and contract to help refract what little light may be present. In doing so, they are able to see clear enough at night to detect, hunt, and capture prey.
    Their keen "night vision" also allows them the ability to see visible landmarks in their habitat, allowing them to navigate their terrain sufficiently.

Leopard geckos can smell with their nostrils. To what degree can they efficiently smell is unknown. They often use their tongue as a means of identifying objects so it is fairly safe to say that the tongue is more effective than the nostrils are.

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

welcome to HC!

8. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Welcome to the neighborhood!

9. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Welcome to HC! Glad you joined. :)

10. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Thank you Rich! That was a very educational post!

11. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Welcome:)
    And I have to agree with Nicole. Rich that was very informative! Thanks.:)

12. justin9982

justin9982 Active Member

Welcome!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.