This Disappears When Logged In

Salvaging rusted screen top

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by CodyW, Oct 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Well I am working on doing a viv as profesionally as possible, I took the entire tank apart except for the glass and resealed all the joints and cleaned it up to spotless. However the tank is old, and a very non-standard size, and upon inspection of the screen top (which is vital at the moment for my project), I noticed that the metal was exposed and almost completely rusted :eek: .

How can I clean this up and reseal it? I tried removing the screen, so that I could replace it, and it was literally melted into the frame. THanks for the help!

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Scrub it with hot soapy water and a brillo pad, and the paint it with the new Krylon Fusion spray paint. It works really good.

3. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Thanks Jay! Just what I was looking for! :D

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Or if you have access to someone with a sandblaster it will be even easier.

5. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Not too many college kids have a sandblaster, but my dad can get one :D . So if the scrubbing doesnt work Ill just blast it!

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Oxy Clean will work real well too;)

7. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

I had to touch up my screen top i just used metal sanding block which is lots easier than standard sandpaper and cheaper too, it got rid of the rust then I nailed it with krylon and its as good as new.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.