This Disappears When Logged In

Safe Wood Stain?

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by cslammon, Aug 21, 2010.

1. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

I don't really want to paint my new cage I'm building, so I thought of staining it. Is there any safe non toxic stains I can use? It would only be for the outside of the enclosure anyway, but I don't want to chance it without asking you guys first. You always help me out! Thanks

2. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

Unless somebody else has an idea of what I should do!

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

4. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

5. Rob

Rob Elite Member

for the outside i just use what ever stain and then use the finish to seal it

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, you can use any water based wood stain, I don`t know the brand names in the States, so can`t help with that, but even though it`s for the outside of the tank, I would still either wax or varnish over it to keep it in good order, alternatively, use one of the coloured varnishes.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I think Minwax makes some 2 in 1 stain and seal stuff. If this is for the outside of the cage, just about anything should work.

If you want to stain the inside, that comes before the polycrylic. Since it will be under a layer or 3 of polycrylic, you can use just about anything. It will be safely sealed away.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I use the minwax stain and then do the polycrylic.

9. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

Well too late I already put down the polycrylic lol

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL ! That pretty much settles that!

11. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

Haha yep.. I guess I'll paint it

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

depending on the paint you use, it may not stick well with the polycrylic. If it is toxic at all, you'll need more layers of polycrylic to seal it up, and prevent peeling.