This Disappears When Logged In

Safe Wire Shelving?

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by aromatherapykim, May 6, 2014.

1. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

Would this wire shelving hold everything safely? I have 4 40 gal tanks I need to have on it. Would it be safe to keep 40 gals + substrate, cage furniture, lighting, etc? I have no idea how much they weigh when full but I know it's heavy.
    http://m.target.com/p/room-essentials-wide-black-5-tier-wire-shelving/-/A-13892315

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, the link isn`t working (at least for me)?

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I don't know. Its hard to tell by the photo but it looks a bit flimsy to me.
    Room Essentials

4. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

Or what do you suggest to hold multiple 40 gal tanks?

5. Merlin

You can use something similar but sturdiness will usually cost you closer to 100 dollars.
    Check out the Gorilla brand of shelving.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Hard to tell how sturdy these would be as the construction could vary a lot. Size of wire, quality of welds, etc. I have a couple sets that are this tpye, and would not hesitate to put a 40 on each shelf. Look at the weight ratings for the unit to get an idea. That said, a standard 40gal wont be a good fit, you will need the 18" wide version, and the tank will actually set between the end poles a bit. Unless your using 40 breeders. Just remember, the shelf dimensions they give are for the outsides of the unit, so you lose a couple inches to the corner posts. You also have to account for access to the top of the tank, unless you have some with sliding glass doors or something. Found all this out the hard way, but I do love my wire shelves. Nice to have some of the rodent holding cages on a shelf on castors.

7. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

The link isn't working for me either, but have you looked into building your own shelving? Usually cheaper and you can make sure it won't fall.... as you need to make sure you get it screwed right into the studs in your wall for ultimate steadiness..... I found out the hard way when I sat a 30 gallon I had my harder snake in as a teen and I came home from school one day to a smashed tank and my snake was gone.....

8. Merlin