This Disappears When Logged In

Safe to Mix

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Kazooguyz2, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Just wondering if its OK to mix anything with eco-earth and use as a substrate. Trying to come up with a sub-Saharan mix for my red legged runners. I know that moss is out of the question (impaction risk) but was thinking some sort of sand ???? I have tried and tried to find a specific definition of sub-Saharan but no luck.

Also, since I will be getting 3 Tomato frogs soon, besides the eco-earth as a substrate, I have seen photos with what looks like moss(?) as a substrate. This seems like a hazard to me. (I'll attach it) Any advice will be a great help!!

Attached Files:

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The term Sub Saharan simply refers to the geograpical area of Africa south of the Sahara desert. It isn't a Biotype.

3. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

So is there anything safe to mix with eco-earth? I think my humidity is high then, currently running 75%. Still curious about the Tomato frog pic I uploaded. Is it a good setup or any suggestions??

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have to admit to being completely ignorant when it comes to frogs.:eek:
    I will let Liz or someone else take this one and run with it!

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Organic potting soil! I use it in all my tanks mixed with coco-husk at a 50-50 ratio. Your tomatoes will LOVE burying in it.

I'm not too brushed up on the sub-saharan care of the red legged running frog. Do you have a care sheet you go by? Maybe if I knew more about their care, I could come up with some ideas for housing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.