This Disappears When Logged In

Safe Sealer? Polyurethane?

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by cslammon, Aug 19, 2010.

1. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

What products do you guys use when building your own cages? I need to know a safe to use sealer for the inside of the cage so the wood doesn't rot. Is polyurethane safe? Something that I can spray on or paint on?

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'd go with brushable. The spray stuff is totally inefficient, and very high-fume. Polyurethane works fine, just needs plenty of time for the fumes to clear out. Make sure to use a few coats.

I have heard Polycrylic also works well, especially the water based type, but I have not used it personally. I have been told it does not smell as much, and consequently, dries faster.

3. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

Polycrylic you say.. I'll check into that. As long as it's non toxic!

4. bighog85

bighog85 Elite Member

Ya stay away from polyurethane. It is more durable then polycrylic but I built some cages and sealed them with polyurethane four months ago and they are still not usable because of the fumes. Polycrylic will work fine for most applications so I would use that if I were you.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

yeah. the polyurethane does seem to take forever to air out properly. I usually allow a month or so, and that seems to take care of the worst of it. But my cages have generally only needed one panel coated, not the entire thing. (I often use peel-n-stick linoleum tile to cover the sides and floor, then seal it with aquarium silicone - only need to coat the ceiling.)

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Polycrylic is water based polyurethane.
    And my choice.

7. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

Any specific brand?

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

9. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

Thank you much!

10. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I know in another thread that you were asking about staining the outside of your enclosure, the minwax that Merlin is talking about also comes in different shades of stain which give wood a really nice rich look for your wood. Here is a link to Minwax

Polycrylic Protective Finish - Interior Clear Protective Finishes

Edit: Sorry didn't see the link that Merlin put up already