This Disappears When Logged In

Safe Live Plants for a LTL? +Newbie Qs

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by RockyGurly, Mar 23, 2012.

1. RockyGurly

RockyGurly Well-Known Member

Hello! I don't actually have any lizards yet, I would like to set up their home way ahead of time first!
    Here's the skivvy:
    I have a 30 gallon terrarium, two feet tall and 18x18inches wide. Would this be enough for two full grown Long tailed lizards? (Also called grass lizards, I couldn't find a care sheet for them!)
    I offer moss boxes for my hermit crabs and they love them, would LTLs use or enjoy some moss as well? I harvest mine from the forest nearby off of trees and clean/dry it before adding it. I believe it is spaghnum (spelling?)
    UVA/UVB lighting, I've heard it's recommended and not recommended, can anyone clear up whether it is or not for me?
    I would really love to have live plants in my enclosure, since I can't have live plants with my hermies. What sort of things would be safe? I'm thinking ferns or grasses in pots on the bottom, level with the substrate (which will be EE, or forest bedding) but in their own individual pots. And spider plants, hanging from the lid and one in the substrate as well. I was also wondering about 'lucky bamboo' or more commonly known as a dracaena. They have long curly ones without the leaves in walmart, and these look great for climbing on to bask. I was also wondering about irish moss, and an asparagus fern (I found these in walmart, and like them alot!)
    What would I have to do to prepare the live plants before adding my lizards?
    Thanks alot guys! I really appreciate any input or feedback, I'm really not too sure what to expect with these guys!

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Not 100% sure but I believe their care is simular to anoles
    Green Anole Caresheet (Anolis carolinensis)
    I have potho's in 2 tanks, my tokay geckos and my chinese water dragons tank and love it!
    I also have a spider plant and am thinking of adding "Lucky" bamboo when Zap(water dragon) gets into his taller enclosure.
    I have them planted right in the tank and they are doing well. Just a note EE is not good at keeping plants alive, in my tokay's tank I mixed some calcium sand with the EE for the bottom and covered the top in pure EE. The water dragon has a mix of EE, sand and top soil so his plants are doing well. Not 100% about the moss, it probley would be a nice way to keep some humidity. As for live plants hermit crabs can have them, when I kept them I grew Dandilions and millet grass in there :) Just toss in a sprig of millet(sold in the bird department) and watch your hermies go crazy! Then the seeds they miss will grow like grass.
    UVB is required for anoles, I would recomend them for your long tails. Basically only nocturnal lizards don't need UVB.

3. RockyGurly

Thank you very much for getting back to me so quickly! :) I looked into anoles as well, I have to say I'm still not 100% sure which one I'll pick, but I think the LTLs have me <3
    I was planning on having all plants in their own pots with compost from my compost bin :) And thank you for the lighting and hermie info! That makes more sense, I geuss nocturnal ones wouldn't be out during the daylight.. and I will be trying the millet and dandelion, so far I've only managed to get bean sprouts to slightly germinate before being eaten! I have to germinate them before adding them. My main issue with live plants and hermies is that they get destroyed :p
    Sorry to pester, but I just had another thing pop up, I read that all the substrate needs to be replaced and all the tank items need to be scrubbed with bleach and water once a week! That sounds like overkill, am I right, or are these guys THAT dirty? I figured with daily spot cleaning they would only need deep cleans once a month or so.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

5. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Wow weekly full deep clean does sound over kill. I spot clean every few days. I put if you can get springtails or wooly worms(they usually come with crickets) they will clean your tank for you.

I hear you on the destructive hermies lol! For dandilions I'd pick a plant roots and all and bury that in there. They loved them. I don't spray my yard and am the one who hauled the top soil in and planted the grass seads so I know my yard is safe :)

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not necessarily. Many municipalities routinely spray pesticides for mosquito control. And if the surrounding neighbors use chemicals and it rains the run off can carry the toxins into your yard.

7. RockyGurly

Thanks :D I found about a dozen caresheets on the internet, most of them contradict eachother but I think I have a general idea of what they need.
    And yea, I know that overcleaning can stress out and kill hermies, I'm worried it'll do the same to lizards! That's why I have a tiny poopy scoopy :p
    I try to give them whole dandelions, but I don't do it very well :-& so I end up with bits and pieces of a mangled looking snack lol
    Thanks for the help guys :D I appreciate it :) I'll be buying some plants today, so far I'm going with a couple of spider plants, an asparagus fern, some irish moss, and a bromiliede (spelled wrong..) if I can find a suitable one. Ooh, and some 'lucky bamboo' or an already rooted draceana

8. RockyGurly

I got a small ficus, a dracaena, and a pothos for ground level plants, and I have a spider plant and the irish moss hanging from the lid/attatched to the side :D Thanks again, everyone.

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Any photos of the little guy? Hint hint :)
    Edit;
    Ignore that, I remember you are still researching and haven't gotten one yet! Good for you for doing your research first.

10. RockyGurly

Haha, not only do I not have any yet (may be a few weeks) but I don't have a camera charger either.. I'm going through picture withdrawal.
    I promise pictures when the lizzies are here, and my charger is located :D After I figure out how to put pictures on here, that is.
    And thanks! I bought my first three hermies on impules, and had awful care for them. And now I have about 20 and three tanks.. >.> yea, I'm doing my research first this time!