This Disappears When Logged In

Safe Hides?

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Brennan, May 4, 2010.

1. Brennan

Brennan Elite Member

I want to get a leo and I am trying to keep everything as cheap as possible, I saw in a couple youtube videos people using boxes for hides. I have a trashbag box, a cookie box, and protein bar box, all of the food items were individually wrapped so there is no food residue on the boxes. My question is, are they safe? (Ill post a couple pictures of the boxes and my idea on the tank later)

2. Brennan

Brennan Elite Member

the front PICT1937.jpg

the top
    PICT1939.jpg

the boxes
    PICT1940-1.jpg

Attached Files:

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Cardboard boxes, assuming that they did not contain any sort of chemicals, are fine for hides. I have used many of them. I have also cut the bottom off of plastic coffee cans, cut holes in the sides of plastic cereal bowls etc.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Way to go Brennan, great thinking, that will save you money and recycle at the same time.:) You seem to have everything well organized and are thinking ahead. Have fun
    Michele

5. avoidtheboyd

avoidtheboyd Elite Member

i was watching a video yesterday on youtube and a guy had made a ton of hide out of legos! they looked pretty good and were quite useful so.

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I would have loved to see that, imagine a little gecko lego land, too cute.:)
    Michele

7. Brennan

Brennan Elite Member

Haha I tried to find that video, its sounded interesting. After 20 minutes of looking, I realized I gave my old legos to my friend's son 3 months ago...

8. avoidtheboyd

avoidtheboyd Elite Member

i think i was looking under reptile racks.... if i get a rack ill probably do that because spending 10 bucks on the average size hide gets quite exspensive.

9. Brennan

Brennan Elite Member

Oh, by the way I painted the hides with a non toxic water based acrylic paint. Is that safe for the leopard gecko?

10. Brennan

Brennan Elite Member

Would I have to seal the paint

11. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

That's a good question. Not sure if it is needed, but with acrylic paint, I would worry about it eventually flaking off and have the gecko eat a piece. I'm not sure the sealing it would make a difference because of the base being cardboard.

What about using clear contact paper over the entire box - that would seal it completely and keep it safer from the effects of humidity.

Using boxes as hides is a great idea! My corn snake came with a boot box as her hide - she loves it. But it doesn't have any decoration on it, and I hadn't given it a thought to change it. But it won't be visible like the gecko hides.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

In a dry environment like the leo cage the acrylic should not present a problem. Now if was a high humidty situation it would be different.
    But then the cardboard would mold anyway!

13. Medium

Medium Elite Member

A Lego hide...that is worth a giggle, wonder what colored Lego's? Very inventive.