This Disappears When Logged In

Safe Cages?

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by agilitygirl, Jun 22, 2011.

1. agilitygirl

agilitygirl Member

So im looking for a new cage and i come across this site. The cages are the cheapest ive seen and they have good reviews and ive talked to people who have them and they love the cages. The only type of cages they sell are made out of Melamine and PVC, both are bad for people. But i was wondering if they would be bad for my beardies?

2. Flint

Flint Elite Member

So long as the edges are covered and sealed properly, I think it would be fine. Many people build cages and rack systems out of melamine and branches out of PVC. Personally though I despize melamine lol. The "finish" side isn't water-proof forever, its much too heavy for how breakable it is, and its just a pain to work with. But I guess if its a ready made cage that's cheap and you don't want to do the building yourself, you may very well be perfectly happy with it.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Even though bearded dragon don't require a lot of humidity, I would never use melamine! Plywood would be better!

4. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

I would also say plywood beats melamine anyday. I have a basking shelf made from unsealed plywood in my iguana cage an it's lasted with Dailey misting since November.

5. Erwynn

Erwynn Elite Member

I have simple plywood for our retes stacks and it's withstood a lot of humidity and is still fine. Melamine is so darned heavy and expensive to boot.

If you look throughout the forums with cage building and whatnot there are many ways to cover up the plain "ugliness" of plywood if it bothers you, whether it's a safe paint, laminate, whatever.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Or just go with a few extra dollars and use cabinet grade plywood. It is intended to be seen and is much more attractive. It has also been largely finished which saves you a heck of a lot of sanding.

7. Knox

Knox Elite Member

I use plywood on my racks, as well.