This Disappears When Logged In

Sad Day

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by missabrat, Aug 19, 2009.

1. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I didn't bring her home today, I really wanted to, but decided it is best for her at the rescue for a few more days so she can finish up her shots,she still isn't moving much, only when she has to. Some of the bigger bite wounds are a bit swollen yet, but the rest are healing nicely. I forgot to take my camera with me :(

2. Orca

Orca Elite Member

My fingers are still crossed. And when you do get a chance to snap some pictures, I'd love to see and ask permission to use them. I think graphic images are one of the only ways to convince some people that feeding live food isn't "cool", its just plain dangerous.

3. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Tell me more about the rescue where she is at. Are they friends of yours or were they people that you located to help you? There are so many people that does not want to use rescues and rather let their animals suffer just because they don’t have money. Your experience might just encourage other members to use rescues in the future.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Reptiles heal very slowly. But the fact that she has made it this far is definately a good sign!

5. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I've not been online for a while but I have read this post yet again and am so glad to hear that Mamba is still slithering and on the mend. What a little trooper!!! I am humbled by the courage and resilience of a young kingsnake! ;) Pictures are a great way to convince people about live vs. f/t, I am just glad to know that Mamba was not subjected to THAT issue- I know it was a result of an escape. You guys are always in my thoughts and prayers.

6. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

The reptile rescue is the one that my daughter and I volunteer for, and have become friends with the owner operator, she is a great lady, runs this rescue out of her home,is knowledgable on just about everything LOL she is a great source of information and support. She actually was the one that took mamba to the vet for me the day after, and had them put it on her account so that I could A)get her discount and B) pay her back when I can, with both meds and vet visit it only cost $42.

Thank you David, I am fighting the f/t issue with a very stubborn corn snake, she is driving me nuts with this ! I sometimes fear she would rather starve herself. No matter what I do, or how long she goes without eating, she refuses everything put in front of her.grrrrrrrrr

7. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Have you tried a fresh killed rat pinkie? For some reason a snake that are used to much bigger goes crazy for a pinkie, maybe they taste different. After she took some pinkies, try upsizing to one bigger the following time etc. It is a slow process but I think it is worth a shot, you never know, it might do the trick.;)

8. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Re: Sad Day New Pics

here are the pics as promised, you may feel free to use them to educate about using f/t vs live prey. My poor little girl curled her tail around my finger and wouldn't let go :( broke my heart to put her back in her "hospital cage" funny thing, my friend tried putting her in a 10 gal aquarium, to give her a bit more space, she left the room for 2 min (to go get the locking clips for screen top) and upon returning to the room, found Mamba half way out the the tank, little Miss "Lazarus Houdini" is going to find herself duct taped in a rubbermaid shoe box if she doesn't behave LOL

here are the pics as promised, you may feel free to use them to educate about using f/t vs live prey. My poor little girl curled her tail around my finger and wouldn't let go :( broke my heart to put her back in her "hospital cage" funny thing, my friend tried putting her in a 10 gal aquarium, to give her a bit more space, she left the room for 2 min (to go get the locking clips for screen top) and upon returning to the room, found Mamba half way out the the tank, little Miss "Lazarus Houdini" is going to find herself duct taped in a rubbermaid shoe box if she doesn't behave LOL

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      16.1 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      15.6 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      13.8 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      15.4 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      11.6 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      12.5 KB
      Views:
  9. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Poor thing. The wounds look good at least and it sounds like she is acting like herself again.

10. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Awww, Poor baby! Her wounds look a lot better than I thought they would! It sounds like she will be just fine :)!

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

She looks like she's making a very good recovery!

12. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I agree, the wounds are definitely healing very well. Thank you for sharing and good luck to both of you.;)

13. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Poor thing. The wounds look better than I expected though! Which is a great thing. :)

14. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I totally agree with everyone else. The wounds are in really good shape and look as if they are healing well. I think she will be around for a while. Good job keeping her alive and in great condition.