This Disappears When Logged In

Sad Day

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by missabrat, Aug 19, 2009.

1. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

My little Kingsnake Mamba escaped her enclosure today, she was in a vision cage with sliding glass doors, Mamba is just 6 mths old and about 1 1/2 ft long, she has figured out how to seperate the sliding glass doors and squeeze her little body through, we THOUGHT we had fixed this problem with a paper towel wedged in the crack and duct tape holding it in place. this had worked for 2 mths.

Our 2 female rats have both had their pups,one 3 days ago and the other sometime lastnight or today. Mamba being a snake and doing what she does best must have gone straight for the 3 day old pups, the mother protecting her young went after Mamba, when I found her after work tonight under a stand close by, she was chewed terribly over 15 bite wounds, I got her washed and doused in betadine and to the vet within 1 1/2 hr of finding her( 1 hour drive) while driving, Mamba escaped the critter cage she was riding in and ended up in my lap we got to the vet and while in the waiting room Mamba passed away,

or so we thought, she was lifeless, my friend tried to get her to breathe, did all she could, but nothing :( there was nothing left to her

until 2 1/2 hours later!!
    I was at my friends house where the rescue is.
    I picked up her carrier, to take her out to be burried, and noticed her tongue moving, she flinched when I opened the cage, and started sliding up my arm. She has currently been dosed with an antibiotic, and a pain med. IF she makes it through the night she will be at the vets first thing in the morning. She would no longer be housed in vision cage, but in a regular tank with locking lid and tons of weight on top!

The only thing we can figure is that she must have passed out from the stress and injuries?

2. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

You have me in tears. I am SO sorry to hear about this, I honestly can feel your disappointment and pain. You wish you could turn the clock back - wish you just checked the cage again - wish and wish. My friend I am really sorry. My prayers are with both of you.

Mamba, little girl, be strong!

3. ShAn3

ShAn3 Elite Member

so sorry. I thought you lost her until the last bit. That's is a miracle, what got to her?

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Hopefully she can recover, that's quite an ordeal though to make it back from. But you never know. Reptiles can be very resilient.

5. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Wow! I am so sorry that happened. Good luck with Mamba. Reptiles are really amazing, keep us posted please.

6. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I'm sorry that this happened to you and you little Mamba :(
    If there is one thing that I've learned from this site, its that accidents happen to the best of us no matter how we try to prevent them. You are being a great parent and getting her all the medical attention she needs. I will keep you two in my thoughts.

7. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

I am so sorry for both of you! I am glad that you understand that nature played a large role in the incident.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I will keep Mamba in my thoughts - I hope she's a tough little trooper, just keep her wounds clean, and her warm. Kings are usually feisty creatures - I just hope none of the bites punctured organs.

I'm picky about my sliding glass doors - My boa cage has them, and a gap over 1/4 inch between the slats. Now there is no way the boa could fit through (she's 3-4 inches thick) but she could certainly wedge her head in there trying, and hurt herself, so I have glued a flat piece of plex in there that fills the gap between the doors so she can't. Maybe you could do something similar with your vision cage, and put Mamba back in it when she is older. For now though, and until she is grown a little more, a locking glass cages probably the best bet.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Good luck missabrat, the snake was in shock, that`s why you thought she had passed away, I hope she makes it...

10. Dragonscalestudios

Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

How is Mamba today? Did she make it through the night? We all want to know!

11. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Oh my God!! I can't tell you how sad I was reading your post. I am also encouraged by the fact that she was strong enough to live through this so far. Please keep us posted as I am anxiously waiting to hear.

12. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

thank you all for the kind thoughts :)
    Mamba made it through the night !!
    She was at the vets as soon as they opened this morning,she was put on antibiotics and pain meds with instructions that she be put on strict bed rest, lots of heat and quiet.

She will be staying with my friend at the rescue, as I have to work 10 hr days this week and I feel better knowing there is someone who can look in on her throughout the day, administer her meds etc.

She is as expected very quiet, and somewhat swollen.Resting on a warm water bottle in a VERY secure rubbermaid container with bricks on top( not taking any chances with her ) the container is small, enough room for her to stretch out, a small water bowl and her warm bottle.

She will have a bath 2 times a day and get soaked in betadine then neosporin on her wounds. Hopefully with the antibiotics on board and the wounds being cleansed she will pull through this, still not getting my hopes up too high, but they are up there! She is one tough little snake for sure!

13. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Wow she IS one tough little snake that's for sure! I wish you luck and keep us posted.:)

14. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Wow what a scary experience! Hope she is able to pull through. Good luck! :)

15. Dragonscalestudios

Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

Excellent news!

16. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

All my froggie friends and I wish her the best! (Sending lots of froggie mojo her way) OHMMMMMMMMMMM

17. Orca

Orca Elite Member

That is great news! You do have one tough cookie. Hang in there, Mamba!

18. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Kings are feisty and tough, if she has made it this far, I bet she'll pull through, and have some battle scars to brag about as well. I'll keep wishing for you both.

19. KKHerps

KKHerps Elite Member

I wish you and mamba all the luck in the world!!!

20. lizerd

lizerd Active Member

WOW I hope my lizerds are as tuff as your mamba