This Disappears When Logged In

S373 Python Ban Goes to Hearing

Discussion in 'Reptile Law - Legal News' started by Rich, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

S373 aka ‘The Python Ban’ will receive a Hearing before the Senate Environment & Public Works Committee Chaired by Barbara Boxer (D-CA) on December 3, 2009. The bill sponsor is Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL). If passed as written it would Ban all snakes in the family Pythonidae, placing them on the Injurious Wildlife List of the Lacey Act. That is ALL 40 species of pythons! This action would stop all import, export and interstate transport. The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) took definitive steps yesterday toward lobbying Senator Nelson to add Boa Constrictor to the bill as well. HSUS has publicly called for an end of reptile ownership nationwide for years.

As we understand it right now there will be eight bills heard by the committee with only one witness to testify on all eight. USARK does not anticipate that there will be additional witnesses called. This seems to be an effort to move through as many bills as possible in as short a time as possible. We will know more soon.

USARK is opposed to legislating any animals on to the Injurious Wildlife List of the Lacey Act. This should be a science and policy driven debate. As it stands now the science is being “cherry picked” to support political expediency. Just yesterday an independent group of scientists called the USGS study being used by HSUS and others to justify a ban, “unscientific”.

As always USARK is providing the best, most timely information available on this issue to the Reptile Nation. We realize that these are scary times and we ask that everyone in the community come together to fight this battle. There is Strength in Numbers... Protect Your Rights. Join the Reptile Nation!

Learn more about USARK Here: USARK

2. I don't know what the rules about posting the Senator's phone numbers are for this forum, but I strongly encourage all the members here to join USARK, which will put you on their email list. There's a list of the key senators and their phone numbers in the latest email, and I'm sure it's somewhere on their site as well. USARK is asking that as many people as possible call these senators and tell them that you oppose S373. I called today and most of them went to voicemail, but three of the senators had receptionists that answered and took my message. Hopefully the others are still checking their voicemail - a couple of the voicemail messages specifically said that they have the voicemail set up due to the large volume of calls they've been getting, so I guess they know we're out here in number!

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

December 2 is the LAST Call In Day! Make It Count!!! Stand up and fight S373 aka The Python Ban! If passed as written it will put ALL pythons on the Injurious Wildlife List of the Lacey Act. That means Ball Pythons, Chondros, Carpets, Blackheads... EVERYTHING! This is not just about big pythons. This is federal legislation that will affect the entire country. S373 will be heard before the Senate Environment & Public Works (EPW) Committee on December 3rd, 2009. YOU can stop this bill if YOU want to. Call and oppose this unnecessary bill. Do not procrastinate. The survival of the Reptile Nation depends on what is going to happen in this committee. Call Now!!

Please oppose S373.

Call List: (this is not a full list of the EPW just the key members likely to be at hearing)

Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL), (Sponsor S373)
    Phone: 202-224-5274
    Fax: 202-228-2183

Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA), (Chair EPW)
    Phone: (202) 224-3553
    Fax: (202) 224-0454

Senator James Inhofe (R-OK), (Ranking Member EPW)
    Phone: (202) 224-4721
    Fax: (202) 228-0380

Senator Ben Cardin (D-MD), (Chair Water & Wildlife)
    Phone: 202-224-4524
    Fax: 202-224-1651

Senator Mike Crapo (R-ID), (Ranking Member Water & Wildlife)
    Phone: (202) 224-6142
    Fax: (202) 228-1375

Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
    Phone: (202) 224-4944
    Fax: (202) 228-3398

4. iluvgreektortoise

iluvgreektortoise Banned User

I do not like snakes.Only lizards and turtles and inverberates.But there are some people out there who like them,so this ban is not fair.

5. FXL5

FXL5 Well-Known Member

Luckily, the ban seems to have sunk without trace, four or five months later. Why do I care, being an Englishman? Because our Moronic Leadership (tm) tend to follow the American ones to a certain extent, especially where banning minority hobbies are concerned.