This Disappears When Logged In

S.b 310

Discussion in 'Reptile Law - Legal News' started by Kernel, May 22, 2012.

1. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

S.B. 310 passed..... At this rate, the entire reptile industry is going to be shut down. We HAVE to do something!

2. biollantefan54

biollantefan54 Elite Member

What is that?

3. justor

justor Elite Member

Rich has been posting some info on S.B. 310 in the reptile laws section.

Reptile Law - Legal News

It's a bill that was introduced, and has now passed, in Ohio which limits peoples rights to own exotic pets and puts some pretty rediculous stipulations on owning them.

4. biollantefan54

I hope nothing like that happens here in North Carolina! Is a leopard gecko or a Rose hair considered exotic?

5. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

ANYTHING not native to the United States is considered EXOTIC. Oddly enough, by the letter of the law... a Japanese koi fish is exotic, as well as guinea pigs and many other pets we all enjoy. Technically an exotic animal is not limited to arachnids, inverts or reptiles. I believe many of these lawa are starting out with reptiles and will try to "BACKDOOR" their way into stopping the keeping of other animals.

6. biollantefan54

So basically in that state they are limiting you to even a guinea pig? That is the dumbest law there is. Makes me want to move to another country much much more. Too bad I am only 12, Say, do they allow inverts, exotics and reptiles in China/Japan/Europe?

7. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

No, what I am saying is...by the legal definition of exotic animals, even a guinea pig is an exotic pet.

8. justor

justor Elite Member

The law is not an ban on exotic pets. You just have to buy permits and carry insurance on each of your exotics now, and I guess you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get the licenses.

9. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

10. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Since I have the upper hand, as i am in law enforcement, here is the law as I understand it. For example, if you own a Burmese like I do, or if you have a constrictor snake over 12 feet you will have to do the following to even get the permit: 1. Pay a 150.00 fine regardless of the amount of snakes you own. 2. NOT have any felonies or your permit will be denied. 3. You must keep detailed info on the snakes, including feeding, shedding, etc. 4. You must file an 'escape plan' with your local Sheriff. 5. Have at least 2 years experience with restricted snakes or take a written exam 6. Get a written letter from a vetrinarian stating they will care for the restricted snakes medical 7. Here is where I will have to have my Sheriff interperet this, it says except in division L1 which is the constrictor snakes like Burm or retic you must carry insurance whether in liability or surety bond up to 100,000 for up to 5 snakes. But since it says except in division L1 im not sure. Ill get back to you next week on this after my Sheriff comes back from Washington DC. 8. Have written volunteer slip for whoever will be caring for your restricted snake other than you. (This is for example, if you go on vacation or have a large amount of snakes and need employees or whatever). 9. Get a criminal background check with B.C.I. and pay for it.

After you jump through those hoops to get the permit, you must refile for it every year. You also will be required to post signs at your house. "Dangerous Restricted Snakes on Premisis" signs will need to be posted at every entrance to the property, on entrances to the dwelling the snake is, on the cage, and on vehicles used to transport the snakes. The director of Ag or his designee will be permitted to enter your house where the animal is kept at any time for inspections.

That is it as I understand it. Like I said, I will be asking my Sheriff to take a look at it and see what he thinks of it when he gets back from Police Memorial Week in Washington DC. Out of all of it I am most unhappy about the signs. I live in a very nice neighborhood and to have to post signs at my house and on my car is rediculous. I understand if I own a Lion or Tiger but for a snake? Really?? If you think about it as long as you keep records, dont have a felony, it wont be that hard to get a permit. Yes it is rediculous, and I agree something needs to be done in Ohio, because I for one, do not want to have to go through Zanesville again. I mean, we register our dogs every year dont we? So I have to register at least one fo my snakes, so what. I do for my dog every year. The liability insurance even if I do have to carry it for my Burm, oh well. A umbrella policy will cover that. It actually covers anything and everything not covered by other insurances, even if you get sued for something. A 1 million dollar policy is like 30.00 a month tops, and it will cover not only your snakes but everything you do.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to point out the main sections on this law that some others may be confused on. Like I said, this is only how I interpret it. I will be getting clarification as soon as possible and will post anything that I may be wrong on.

11. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Google will give you a clear understanding of what it is. I suggest you and everyone else actually read the bill. If this is the first you are hearing of this bill then you are clearly not involved enough in the reptile community.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Something else that hasn't been brought up is another possibility.
    There have frequently been cases where insurance companies are cancelling homeowner's policies when they learn that you are keeping an exotic animal. So all this registering is going to put all your business out in the public eye. Not only will your insurance company have access to it by way of the signage any would be thieves will know what you have in the house!

13. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Exactly. I'm wondering Merlin it says a liability insurance policy, if you just got the umbrella policy, would we even have to tell the insurance agents though?

We have problems with thiefs already. So, well have to a security system installed now. What I am wondering is is you have an apartment, where are you going to put the signs at entrances of property? :D

14. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

More than likely those in apartments won't be able to keep the animals.

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Most insurance policies are pretty clear as to what they will and will not cover. Keeping an exotic animal likely will not fall within the boundaries of a basic liability policy.
    There have been cases of fires where the insurer refused to cover the damage because it came out that there were reptiles in the home so the insurer used that as a reason to deny the claim.
    SPECULATING that the cause of the fire was the lighting and heating equipment that would not have been present in a "normal" household
    Exactly!
    Being the actual physical owner of the property, THEY will also have responsibity in all of this garbage and I would venture to say that 97% if not 100% of them are not going to be willing to bother with it.