This Disappears When Logged In

Russian Tortoise - Release?

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by poz51, Jul 23, 2012.

1. poz51

poz51 New Member

Hello,
    My sister has a russian tortoise and she would like to "release" it on our land. We live in PA and we have a creek that runs through our property. Will the tortoise live or will the cold winters kill it?
    Thank you!

2. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

NEVER LET A CAPTIVE ANIMAL INTO THE WILD!

i'm serious, it is illigal and the animal will die. if you want to let it play outside, it is fine as long as there is no pesticides, but if you leave it to fend for itself, it will die.

3. mele

mele Elite Member

Yes, it will die.
    It would probably enjoy spending time outside in a type of tortoise corral. If the animal is not secure(fenced) in your land, it will be concidered "released" and that is illegal. Please be sure the tortoise is fenced and monitored. Even if it were to escape, you would still be held liable.

4. poz51

poz51 New Member

OK, we will definately not release then. My father had an area on our land where he planted a garden. it is 40 feet by 30 feet with a mesh fence. We could use that to put him in during the summer, but would need to bring him in during the winter months, right?

5. mele

mele Elite Member

Yes, that should be fine. Remember, he/she will forage and dig :) If you live in PA I would bring him/her in during the cooler fall months as well.
    Make sure it can't reach and eat any toxic plants.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to the Forum :)

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And just having a fence isn't enough. The fence must extend down underground or the tortoise will dig its way out.

7. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

yeah, it has to go a few feet deep, and it has to be rust-proof.