This Disappears When Logged In

Russian Tortoise Not Pooping, What Should I Do?

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Geo7809, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Hi everyone, i bought a russian tort last sunday. Hes in a 75gal tank that i used to have fish in. Basking spot is 90f, warm side about 83 and cool end around 70-73f. Anyway, hes eating well and likes to bask under his new mega ray but so far no poop. Ive also notice what looks to be like some small chips on his shell but nothing serious i hope. How can i get him to poop? ive tried 2 baths so far but nothing.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Increase the basking temperature to 95F. How much food and what kind of food does he eat? Also what temperatures are the bathes and how long do you bathe him for?

3. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

What she said.

4. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

So far just romain salad and bath temps are warm dont know the exact temp. Had him soaking for 25min

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

What exactly is in the romaine salad?

6. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Romaine lettuce and thats it. I dont know what he was fed before i got him

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Thats no good. Romaine has very little nutrients at all and shouldnt be fed often let alone as the main staple. You need to switch him to more nutritious foods immediately. Things like grass (can be grown in his enclosure and is very very nutritious if you wish), collards, endive, escarole, kale, squash, a little sweet potatoe, cactus pads, aloe, etc.

Foods to avoid are: fruits, lettuce (especially iceburg), and corn.

Without a nutritious diet tortoises wont go as often as they really need high fiber diets to stay regular.

Mazuri tortoise pellets are a good product to feed as well and they can be ordered for fairly cheap online or found at most feed stores. To feed mazuri all you do is add some cold water so it becomse soft. To store the excess (if you get the big bag) just put it in your freezer and its good for over a year.

8. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Thanks for the tips. Im actually going to be changing his setup to the zoo med tortoise house. I think the 75gal tank is a waste of space. Im going to give him another bath and give him some kale.

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

He should be in something with a large foot print. And you need to feed him a variety of veggies just like you would for your beardies in oder to make sure he gets alot of the nurtients he needs.