This Disappears When Logged In

Russian Tortoise Info

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by schmidt1894, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Do you have an enclosure? If not an aquarium 55 or larger would be an ok set up if laid on its side. a 50 gallon rubber tote is better but wont work for an adult so get a larger container if you want to use them(cheapest enclosures). A wooden enclosure is best. If you make one that is about 48x30x24(only needs to be 18in if the lights will be on top of enclosure but 24-30in if ligts are inside) you can put a removable top on it and use it as a coffee table...I hAve always wanted to do this but so far tortoises I decide to keep have been too large...maybe I will do this for my box turtle...
    Also the bulb mega ray is best but if not then a halogen flood light and a fluorescent uv set up. Arcadia bulbs seem to be the best uv only so far.
    Substrate needs to be atleast 6in deep but 12in is better. Also a half plays and half soil works well to hold burrows and must be damp and well packed at all times.
    Flat stone to put under the basking light for belly heat and under the food bowl so they can't unbalance by digging under and when they push the food of it doesn't land in the dirt.
    Food and water bowls need to be large and shallow. The bottom pans for plant pots work well.
    A few plants (real is best but they will destroy it) for decoration.
    A hide of some sort should be available. I have ones made of rocks and ones that are mostly buried pots and they should be in dark corners.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ps. Tortoise are not for being held and played with. Lifting them off the ground for extended times will frighten the pee
    Out of them(literally). Eventually they might recognize you as food provider and come to you and you can touch their shells and watch them cruise but they are pretty much a hands off pet.

3. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

how would i put a 55g on it's side? dont get it? and possibly a large tote. i want something so my dogs cannot look into it.

lights, gotcha.. but if i cannot get an arcadia bulb or a mega ray, like you said i could do a halogen and a reptisun uvb.

what kind of substrate would be best? eco earth and playsand? packed? or no?

could i use a tile for the basking spot and the foodbowl?

and pathos plant or no? live or fake?

and could i use like one of these for an enclosure??

Trixie Natura One Story Rabbit Hutch at PETCO

4. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

You shouldn't look for an animal just so you can play with it. I agree with Thalatte they aren't like cats and dogs you can snuggle or anything. And since you just rehomed an iguana because you couldn't provide space maybe a tortoise wouldn't be the best idea-now at least. Spend some time with your dragons! They can be total sweet hearts it just takes some loving'. :)

5. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

yeah i know.. but i want an animal that i can interact more with. I know they aren't like dogs and cats lol...

And I know.. I'm just looking.. Not to sound rude, but I don't think that it is wrong that I am looking and maybe thinking about getting a new animal. Just looking. Isn't rock solid down that i'm getting one.

And yes i sure will, and have been now. They definitally are!:)

6. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

I didn't mean to offend you and I didn't say it was wrong. :) you said you weren't going to get one anytime soon, then said there was an expo in November. That's not a long time away-anyways I hope I didn't come off as rude. I was just giving my opinion. :p

7. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

no you didnt... and i hope i didnt either...

and if i do go, ill look. we'll see how much money i have... i doubt ill have enough for a whole enclosure and the tort.. we'll see! :)

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

55g aquarium: tomorrow afternoon I will try to post a pic on how this would work. It's not practical and rather stupid in my opinion but I have seen people make this work.
    A large tote is easy, cheap, and you can buy it in lots of colors.
    Substrate I use sphagnum mulch(consistency of soil but its organic) mixed with play sand. You can use an additive free soil if you like. I have heard of people using Eco earth instead of soil but I don't think the consistency is that good. Yes pack it as they will burrow in it.
    In regards to the bowl: if you don't want to buy one that's fine but the rock you use needs to be extra as tortoises love nothing better than spreading their food around. A bowl with sides helps a little to keep the food in one spot. Though a larger rock will increas the odds of the food landing on the rock not the soil.
    Plants are great and a pothos will last longer than others but eventually the tortoise will kill it. He will either burrow under it, walk through it, or eat it. That aside they really like them. One good way to get plants is to just throw in some carrot seeds or other vegetable seeds and let them grow in the tank. Looks interesting but one way to get foliage and food.

EDIT: the rabbit hutch: could work if you added barriers to the bottom of the screen door and made large skylights in the other areas. Also it seems like it would give the tortoise too large of a hide and not large enough of open exploring room. I think a tote is cheaper and better suited.