This Disappears When Logged In

Russian Tortoise Garden Help

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by BlueCardinalArtist, Aug 25, 2013.

1. BlueCardinalArtist

BlueCardinalArtist Well-Known Member

Hi, i was thinking about building an outdoor garden for my Russian, Olive, and I was wondering if i needed extra fencing to protect her from predators during the day, since im not really planning on leaving her out at night. The only thing im really worried about is my dog, and I wouldn't leave them alone together. But in our neighborhood we have possums and a heck of a lot of squirrels, as well as a few of the neighbors cats, and I was just wondering exactly what kind of border i would need if any to protect her.

2. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

All of those could easily just climb over a fence if they wanted to. I doubt that they would bother the tortoise but if they were a problem your only real solution would be a lid which really takes away from the look of it. A low fence to keep the tortoise in would be all that I would use.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

You really don't need much of a fence at all as long as the dog doesn't bother the tort. So any decorative fencing will work. I am using garden bricks for mine but am going to switch to cinder blocks and then use the middle of the blocks as a planter for edible flowers

4. BlueCardinalArtist

BlueCardinalArtist Well-Known Member

Alright thanks! A low fence it is, and my dog doesnt really bother her, its just that im afraid she might when Im not looking.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And that right there is a good enough reason to make the enclosure more secure. Not only from ground based predators but from flying ones as well.
    Other wise you are liable to see a large hawk carrying off your tortoise!

6. Vers

Vers Elite Member