This Disappears When Logged In

Russian Diet

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Odiusroo, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Odiusroo

Odiusroo New Member

I have a russian tortoise named "Peach" who I have fed corn a few days ago. Ever since she has eaten this she has had trouble going to the bathroom. Should my russian's diet exclude this food? Have I hurt her?

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

you should not feed corn to a tortoise,,,,corn is not a vegetable, it is a starch and rapidly converted by the body to sugar. i made the same mistake years ago with a box turtle. peach should be fine in a day or so in the meantime continue with green leaf vegs, fruits and a weekly dusting for the best diet,

3. Odiusroo

Odiusroo New Member

Oops..thankyou. I won't do that again. :eek:

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

i don't beleive we have a caresheet link yet on HC for russians but if you send me a pm i can set you up with the diet i use. it's from the zoology dept of herpatology from the norfolk, va. zoo (my son is a volunteer there in the reptile dept.....lucky little #$&*)

5. Odiusroo

Odiusroo New Member

No, thankyou. I had just read on a diffrent site that it was okay. And it seemed pretty strange that she wasn't doing well and the recommendation wasn't on any other site. So they are wrong. :p

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thats one of the things you really have to watch about internet sites. Anybody can set up a site and for all you know they are 12 years old and have never kept anything in their lives. Unless you're positive about the source never take the info on just one site as gospel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.