This Disappears When Logged In

Runny Poo

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by nikkistorms, Sep 6, 2012.

1. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

What does this mean? my Kingsnake, had her for about 2 weeks this coming saturday... She still hasn't had a normal poo...

2. Terp91

Terp91 Elite Member

Could be stress related or worms. How do you have her set up, any pics? Might want to collect the next poo and get it checked by the vet to be safe.

3. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

She is in a room by herself to avoid stress caused by my other reptiles. currently in a 10 gallon tank with a red incandecent daytime heat. Using papertowels for substrate. She has a moist box and a water dish and a planter with fake leaves on it to climb it. she is a lounger most of the time. doen't come out much til I maker.... so I just need to knwo what is going on... if I can collect a good sample I intend on taking it to the vet so I can see whats up... buy the time i ge to clean out the cage, the poo is all but dust.... dried out bad....

4. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Do you have a photo?

It's crucial to rule out parasites!

Also, my burm's poo looks runny sometimes, and it seems to happen when he's drinking lots of water or I don't clean it up immediately. I actually caught him in the act the last time he pooped. I was turning his light off and it was late so I decided to clean up in the morning. His poop was fine when he passed it (totally solid) but it looked runny the next day; he had actually just squished it. :)

5. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

I will take a pick as soon as He passes one.

6. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

This morning I notice his eyes are glazed over. Foggy... aren't these signs of an upcoming shed? He does drink a fair amount of water. The humidity in my room gets sucked out by my fans...

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Also kings can Musk, maybe it was a bit of that! :(

8. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Correct me if i am wrong here guys, but isnt runny poo fairly common in culabrids when they are eating pinkys?

9. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Correct.....typically younger colubrids will not have solid feces until eating prey with bones, meat and fur......
    Pinks are mostly water.......

10. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Well darn, Jlassiter, I shoulda asked you in the first place. DUH! Makes sense! I just got a regular heat pad hooked up for her til I can get her permanent cage. I really don't think she is getting warm enough with the red light. Temps are at 84 just above the hottest spot of the pad. I put the fabric over it and two wood flats on both sides of the cage to prevent it from being too hot. It was 110 with out the fabric and without the papertowels.

11. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Also, I will add that was the temp without the light. I will measure it in a few minutes to see what it settles at with the light.

12. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Personally....I would not use a light at all......

I would just use the heating pad.
    and I would use a thermostat or rheostat with the heating pad....

Get a temp gun and shoot the "hot spot"
    Adjust the thermostat or rheostat so that a hot spot of 85F or so is met.

Keep your room cool.....Room temps are good (72F to 75F)

13. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

That's so cool!!! I had no idea! Explains some of the poops from my savannah monitor too.

14. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Once they get on fuzzies the feces will look less "runny"

15. VickiC

VickiC Elite Member

Thank you both for that bit of information. I hadn't been worried about our baby corn snakes feces until I saw what came out of my ball python. :-& After seeing the difference between the two I became slightly concerned and started watching this thread to see what Nikki came up with. It really does make perfect sense though.