This Disappears When Logged In

Running Out of Feeders

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by tweetledee, Sep 24, 2014.

1. tweetledee

tweetledee Member

We've had the frogs 2 months. 3 dumpies and 1 cuban.
    The dumpies are in a 12x12x18, with eco earth and a waterfall with upper and lower pools, real and fake plants. The cuban is in a zoo meds micro habitat, with eco earth and fake plants, and pond.
    both tanks have UVB lighting, the dumpies have a heat light also, the cuban has a Zoo meds Repti Therm heater.
    they both have temp and humidity gages, dumpies tank is about 85° and around 60% humidity, the cuban is around 76° and 50% humidity.
    I feed each frog 2 to 3 medium crickets a day as they are juveniles, although the cuban is only eating every couple of days.

I am attempting to breed my own crickets so i don't have this problem, but it's not working yet.

the problem is is that I have only 4 crickets left and we have 6 days until I get paid, what can I do, without dipping into my breeding tank?

2. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Pretty sure they won't die of starvation in a few days. But, why crickets? Why not roaches?

3. tweetledee

tweetledee Member

Because they are not quite big enough yet, probably in another month or two. They will probably be big enough by xmas with how fast they are growing. The roachs that our pet store carries aren't much smaller than the frogs, sometimes the medium crickets they sell are too big, although now that they are bigger that is less of a problem. When we got Tweedle dee and Tweedle dot the breeder said they were about 4-6 weeks and they were bigger than Baby Happy (which we got from the pet store and they didn't know how old he was), so they are about 3 months old and still smaller than my thumb.

4. Logan

Logan Elite Member

You can order anything from just born nymphs up online. I just find a local guy who's over run with roaches right now. I paid $20 for 500+ mix with a ton of nymphs in there.

5. Frogsrule

Frogsrule Active Member

Sorry to bring this up, but a 24x18x24 tank is the minumum for three dumpys. An 18x18x24 is the minimum for 1 or 2 cubans both speices get large especially the females. Some female cubans can get up to 6 inches in length not counting the legs

6. tweetledee

tweetledee Member

Plan on getting bigger tanks around christmas or tax time. Right now we are a little short on shape, we live in a small 2 bedroom apartment and we might be moving back to our house in Ohio at end of year.

7. tweetledee

tweetledee Member

Can anyone tell me how many medium crickets to e feeding these guy I keep getting conflicting information. I've been told that 1 to 2 aday to 5 aday. Can someone clarify this for me?

8. Logan

Logan Elite Member

I myself have no idea on feeding frogs. I've heard they can be pigs though. I think possibly to the point of overeating themselves to death. It might be certain species, or I could be TOTALLY off. I know CWDs won't over eat, so I just feed my monster as much as she wants ... eventually someone with frog experience will chime in. :)

9. Frogsrule

Frogsrule Active Member

At this size they should he fed every day 3-4 medium crickets dusted with calcium every other feeding and multivitamins once a week. At 2 inches the feedings should be reduced to every other day. At 3 1/2 inches in length the feedings should be three times a week. Frogs-espcially cubans- do not know when to stop eating. Its a survival tactic because they do not know when the next time they will get food will be.

10. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Oooo. I was right! Yay my brain. I surprise myself with my animal info retention!