This Disappears When Logged In

Rubber Boa

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by DimitrisDaisy, May 20, 2011.

1. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

Whoops! I informed my mom of my plan to get a boa... Let's just say that won't be happening until I move out! Lol my mom says no more reptiles! XD So, I may end up storing my big tank until a later date... But my heart is still set on a boa of some sort :) One day~...

2. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Elite Member

Hi Daisy!

I have a Rosy that I have had for 13 years. She is such a wonderful, docile, sweet girl. I would recommend a Rosy to anyone who wants a snake. They are easy to care for, gentle, and long-lived(Lucy is 21 now). In the 13 years I've had her the only problem I ever had was when I tried to feed her pre-killed mice (she just won't touch it if it's heart isn't beating) and white mice. She won't touch white mice.

She's never bitten, or struck at, anyone. And my children (and my sister's) have grown up handling her with no issues (I keep hand sanitizer at the cage for anyone who handles her to use) though I don't recommend anyone let a little under 5 handle any reptile, both for the reptile's safety and the child's.

As for the cage: Lucy is in a 55gal aquarium with no problems. I am sure a larger cage would be just fine too.

~BeckyJ

3. DimitrisDaisy

Thanks Becky :) I'll get a rosy one day! Right now my mom put her foot down and declared, "No more animals!" lol Which is too bad, because reptiles stay in their enclosures and don't make big messes like my dogs and cats... >:) lol but you gotta listen to your momma! :)

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I know what you mean!:(
    My husband sounds like your mother! You would think at my age I would be able to get away with it!:confused:

5. DimitrisDaisy

Lol that's funny MLD XD

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Just remember when you get married to make sure they know your passion and hopefully share that same passion for reptiles.

7. DimitrisDaisy

I know! My boyfriend already knows if we ever live together, I come 3 cats and my lizard :) Lucky me he likes exotic animals, too. I'm looking to possibly get him a whip scorpion when he can take care of it :) I'm happy that we share the same interests

8. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

I think it was good that you informed your mom, even if she said no. It's a responsible decision and you certainly didn't want to get the snake and then have her find out and possibly cause more problems. I still live with my parents and bringing a snake into the house was a long process but now I have 3. My sister and mom will handle them on a rare occasion, my dad would prefer to watch them from a distance. It is their house so even my newest guinea pig addition was talked through with them. And I'm 28. :)

9. DimitrisDaisy

Yeah, my mom's biggest issue is we live in a manufactured home with 3 dogs, 4 cats, and my lizard, and my brother and his 3 kids (yikes!) and we really don't have a whole lot of room! I have to completely rearrange my room just to fit Dimitri's new enclosure in when it gets built! I'm going to have to put Dimitri's old enclosure in storage when he gets moved into his new one, but that will one day be modified for something else :) I love projects lol

10. DarkMagician207

Well, like you said...one day! :D At least you're getting done some planning/research in the meantime.

11. DimitrisDaisy

Yeah, just the planning is loads of fun! Lol reptiles are an adventure all their own :)

12. DarkMagician207

They sure are. I always thought they were interesting but never really thought about owning or learning more about them. Then I started working in a pet store and the thought clearly changed lol.

13. DimitrisDaisy

I started out with a Leopard Gecko when I was a kid. She died when I got into middle school, and after that I couldn't bear the thought of replacing her! But I've always loved lizards and other herps :) They're incredibly fascinating.