This Disappears When Logged In

Rubber Boa

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by DimitrisDaisy, May 20, 2011.

1. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

Is this a good caresheet on rubber boas? I'm considering getting one some time in the future, and want to do my research before hand :)

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

You forgot the link to the caresheet! ;)

3. DimitrisDaisy

4. DimitrisDaisy

Well, I may end up with a rosy boa. I mention to my boyfriend how I wanted a rubber boa, and he asked if I wanted a rosy boa instead, as they are just as docile and easy to care for, not to mention he says he can get me one pretty easily. I've been reading caresheets and researching, but I was curious if anybody else has owned one? What were your experiences? Any tips or advice?

5. mld

I just love the rosy boa, there are a few members who own them!

6. DimitrisDaisy

I'm going to search for their posts then :) Any info is good info!

7. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

I own a Rosy and I love him. :)

8. DimitrisDaisy

Would it be alright to keep them in a larger tank than a 20 gallon? I want to reuse my 6 foot long tank after I move my CWD out. Nobody mentioned keeping them in larger, so I don't think it should be a problem.

9. DarkMagician207

I don't see the problem as long as it's cleaned out properly. He or she will probably enjoy all the extra burrowing room. They aren't fans of high humidity though so you'll want to keep an eye on that. They like lots of cover (foliage and stuff like that). If you are going to use a water dish in there at all times, use a more shallow one to help avoid spills.

10. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Rosy Boas are indeed great snakes..as for the 6 foot enclosure, as stated above, it should be fine as long as you clean it out and disinfect it completely.. I've never heard of anyone keeping a rosy in one that large, but I suppose the rosy would enjoy the extra space.....(although I would suggest partitioning it off to make the area smaller when you first get him/her. This will make it easier to monitor your Rosys behavior/movements...not to mention you will need to make check his/her waste for signs of illness and it is difficult enough to find their waste in a 20 gallon, so I can't imagine trying to locate and remove it in a 6 foot enclosure.)
    Also, make sure there are NO holes/crevices in the lid or tank that they can maneuver through. The Rosy Boas are very small, and they can certainly squeeze through pretty much any opening at all.)

11. DimitrisDaisy

Yeah, for sure I'll clean it.

Teach, how do I partition it? Just with a piece of wood?

And since it's such a large enclosure, maybe I'll just divide it in half and keep the other side empty as a quarantine area if either Dimitri or the rosy gets sick. I certainly have plenty of space!

I'm really looking forward to working on these enclosures, I just went and got an estimate for all the supplies for Dimitri's new home :) It's going to be a fun project lol

12. mld

13. DimitrisDaisy

It's glass. I could take measurements and cut a piece of plywood, water seal it, and silicone it in with aquarium silicon. Think that would work?

Edit: Btw, I love your tank MLD! what a gorgeous set up!

14. mld

Yep that all you need to do, silicone is what I used!
    Depending If you want to use the other side, you can use the center, the 3' mark for your hot side that would give you a hot side in each section! I just placed the under tank heater in the middle of the original tank and each outside end of the tanks were the cool side and the inside section was the hot side!

Wow, I can't imagine a 6' tank! It must be huge!

15. DimitrisDaisy

Heating it that way sounds like a good idea :) I already have a heat cable (which is a wire that heats the ground up by a few degrees), and I plan on leaving the current lights Dimitri is using in there, so I'll have those for heat as well (He's going to be getting new MVB bulbs in his new enclosure).

And yes, it was VERY hard to move! We almost dropped it a few times and I was sick to my stomach from the stress! Imagine that shattering on the ground! Scary!

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Bad idea! A quarantine tank should ideally not even be in the same room as your other tanks. Or at least on the other side of the room. just putting a board in the middle will still allow disease or parasites to migrate to the other side of the enclosure.

17. DimitrisDaisy

Oh, okay. Thanks for letting me know :) Think the other side would make a good feeding area then, for the rosy?

18. DarkMagician207

That might work, using it as a feed bin area if you're still going to separate it. Would save you from having to get one. You can leave it bare at the bottom or use paper towel. Just make sure the lid closes securely on both sides of the whole thing so he/she can't get out or squeeze into the other side when the other side isn't in use.

Plus you can always transfer the snake to the other side when you are cleaning out the side acting as the enclosure. :)

19. mld

Great ideas! Can't wait to see the finished tank!

20. DimitrisDaisy

Me too :D lol I will for sure post pics :)