This Disappears When Logged In

RTB hibernating?

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Inphormatika, Dec 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inphormatika

Inphormatika Elite Member

My RTB appears to be hibernating... she refused to sit directly under the heat lamp, or even near it. I've checked the temps under the heat lamp, they're always around 95 degrees, so it's not too hot for her. If I move the lamp to one side, she goes to the other side. If I have it in the middle, she moves as far away as possible. I had a heat pad under 1/2 the tank, and I moved it inside to get more warmth in there, but she now climbs on top of her hide, I guess to get away from it. She's still eating very well....

Is this hibernation or something else? I checked the temp of her skin, and it was about 78 degrees.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Mine is the same way. The warm spot is there if she wants it but she pretty much stays on the cool end. She is active at night and feeds reliably. She'll pick what temp she needs to be.

3. BOA68

BOA68 Member

Every snake is different i have seen some that love the hot spot and will bask all day, but i have also seen some like mine and apparently yours that would rather be at like 80-82 degrees all the time. As long as they have a gradient they will keep themselves comfortable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.