This Disappears When Logged In

RTB/Burmese

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by mambaman, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

2. The D

The D Mango Empress

oh he's a cute one! congratulations on the new addition, RTB's are great.

3. joe_crash

joe_crash Active Member

I'm gonna have to agree with the majority of the others here. Definately go with the Redtail. They are extremely beautiful snakes, and do get to be a very impressive size as well. No, not as big as the Burmese, but a lot more handleable for you. When a Burmese gets to be full grown, it's gonna take 2 people to get it out of it's cage for cleaning 7 feeding, etc. The redtail is the way to go man. I have both snakes you're talking about, and trust me, the redtail is still my favorite. Good Luck!!![​IMG]

4. venus

venus Founding Member

He's beautiful and tiny. Congrats on the newbie.

5. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

I got him Saturday and I held him today. When I picked him up I got in a stirking position (the S position) And stayed like that for a while then started slithering on me a little bit then he'd get back in that position then slither again. Is this normal or more of an aggresive position.

Thanks,

6. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

you should leave him alone for a week before you do any handling at all. he's just getting used to a new environment and it'll help reduce the stress if you minimize the handling for now. give him time to settle in, he's probably just scared. good luck :)

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It would be best to put the snake in its enclosure and leave him alone for a couple of weeks to let him get used to his new environment. No handling. I know its hard to wait but right now he is stressed and unsure being in a new environment. Let him have time to settle down and get comfy
    The s position is not so much an aggressive posture as it is a defensive one. If it was aggressive it would quickly be followed by a strike.

8. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Congratulations on the new snake! I too think you made the right choice with the redtail. The main reason for my opinion is that you're 15, which means that you'll probably be moving out of the house in the next 5-7 years. Regardless of how much space you have now, when the time comes it will be much easier to find a place for your redtail than it would be for a burmese python.

9. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

thanks, Since he's in the shed should I stay in there a little bit every day just to let him get used to me. Or stay out of the shed as much as possible for a week or so.

10. The D

The D Mango Empress

Just leave him be. Shedding is stressful enough without being in a new environment with a human touching him every day. especially because he's in shed your presence will just freak him out more. let him do his thing for a week or two, and then start handling regularly.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just leave him alone. He isn't going to forget about humans in 2 weeks. You can go in the building itself but stay out of the enclosure unless absolutely necessary.
    Besides many snakes get a bit grumpy when they are shedding. They are uncomfortable and can't see very well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.