This Disappears When Logged In

Routines?

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by Microscope Jockey, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

I wanted to post this under general snakes but I noticed there is no longer a general snake forum so by virtue of the fact that I have 2 boas and 2 pythons and only one colubrid but the boas have the greatest amount of "snake yardage" I will post it here:

Is it good to establish a routine with your snakes in reference to feeding, handling, when you're home, etc. ? If so how rigid should this routine be? Do the snakes really care?

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

we really have no routine except for feeding. we always feed the same day of the week at generaly the same time in a feeder tank. as far as handling,,,,,we play with them whenever possible. both our snakes are very tame and seem to enjoy to be handled. never any stress and thoroughly seem to enjoy being outside the tank

3. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I don't have an EXACT routine either, I just kinda follow these guidelines....
    They always eat on Saturdays or Sundays, depending on if their in shed or not.
    I do mist their tanks daily.
    They seem to want to be held in the evenings better, so that's when I handle them the most.

Jem
    (2 BP and a Corn)

4. Todd

Todd Elite Member

Agreed. Regular feeding schedules is a good thing, in my opinion. And also to be fed in a separate place, if possible. If youre not moving the snakes to a new location, Bob Clark suggests lightly tapping a snake on the head with a soft stick, or just touching it. (I have a close friend who keeps big Burms and Retics, and he does this also.) It will condition the snake, and it is extremely effective. That, would be a valuable routine. ;)

As far as the adults, I usually feed Molly once every three weeks, sometimes four. But if I don't have the time, I never wait longer than one week over her normal schedule. It certainly would not hurt her, but it makes me feel better.

With handling, I would do it as much as possible, as consider the tapping (or just touching or placing a soft object there for a few seconds) on the head before handling time. I'd would always say that whenver possible, handle as often as you can. (Five years strong, and I've still never been tagged.) I've never heard of any drawbacks aside from not doing it around mealtimes, and the subsequent times thereafter. ;)

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree with the feeding on a set schedule. It helps you to remember and you don't have to sit scratching your head wondering when you fed them last. They also come to expect it when on a set schedule. As far as handling or anything else it really makes the snake no difference. However frequent handling is important to keep them tame and handleable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.