This Disappears When Logged In

Rough Week...

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by Matt_D_C, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt_D_C

Matt_D_C Elite Member

I know this is for reptiles, but I had to post. This past week has been horrible. As if Commodus being sick isn't enough, my favorite breeder mouse Meeshka died giving birth a few days ago. :( If that wasn't bad enough, I got home from the vet today and found one of my fish dead. :( I was never a huge fish person but this particular one was one of my babies. I have 7 fish this size and bigger, and I've had them for quite a while. I don't know why it died, but I do know the rest of them suddenly look ill. This ****s.

This is the one that died. :( :( :( One of my smallest babies.
    [​IMG]

Even though I have never been a really big fish person, I LOVE these fish, and I've been so proud of them. I didn't buy these guys from a pet store. I took a net and fished them out of a pond when they were babies., so this lil' guy dying has really hit me hard. I'm gonna burry him in the yard after work tomorrow.

Sorry to waste a post on a herp site for a dead fish.

2. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Sorry to hear

Its a hard lose a pet no matter how big or small the animal! I understand well I never fished and caught my fish but my dad had a perona Named Mr. P once and he loved him. In fact after he died my dad wrapped him up and put him in the freezer on a Mrs. Pauls fish stick box!

YOU NEVER waste a post unless it is full of rude comments or unneeded hurt to another person! It dosent matter if its not Herp related! I hope that Commodus will get to feeling better give him me and puffs love. Im also sorry about Meeshka.

I hope things start to get better for you........>:D< heres a huig if it'll help

3. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Sorry to hear about the rough week Matt. It always hits hard when you loose a loved pet. I hope Commodus gets better though.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Audrey- Very well said!

Matt, sorry to hear about all the problems. Just hang in there it will get better.

5. venus

venus Founding Member

Sorry for your losses Matt.

6. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Matt, sorry to hear about all those events buddy :( . Its tough loosing a pet...it doesnt matter if its a fish or a flea. I hope the rest of your week doesnt bring you as many troubles.

7. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

(((((((((((((HUGS MATT))))))))))))

I hope the week improves for you.....

8. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

So sorry to hear about your losses,.. sometimes it seems as though all of these sadnesses come at once and you begin to feel really low about it - i know how you feel - but never forget the loving care and good homes you gave these animals, and will continue to give the rest of your pets.

As Audrey so very well put it, you never waste a post on something that you cared so much about, and it is hard to lose anything that you loved for so long. Keep smiling, and remember your pets with happiness. Just think of them healthy and happy over that wondeful rainbow.

Love and hugs to Commodus, I hope he gets better. :)

9. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Matt, our thoughts and prayers go out to you. And even though this is "Herp Center" most of us here are just plain animal lovers and we all understand.

10. Matt_D_C

Matt_D_C Elite Member

Everyone thanks so much- it definately makes it a lot easier to handle. Unfortunately, the week keeps going downhill... When I got home from work today, the rest of them were dead- except my 2 shubupkins and the really big one, but they don't look good. Commodus isn't getting better, but he isn't getting worse, so I'm not really sure wether to be happy or sad. He tried to bite me today for the first time, and attacked my sister. He didn't get her too bad, but he caused enough damage that I think she needs stiches. I'm trying to stay positive here, but I honestly don't think anything is getting better. I don't know what to do anymore.

11. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Matt, I'm so sorry :(
    There's nothing to really say that will make your sad situation any better, but know that we are all here with you to support you and be here when you need us.

That's a real shame about your fish - perhaps it was a disease that spread? It's hard to know with some animals that there is anything wrong, but I'm sure you did all you could to give them a good life.

Sorry about Commodus, what exactly is wrong with him? The fact that he was aggressive towards you is probably a further indication that he is unwell, I know how I feel when I am ill. My thoughts are with you - we're all rooting for Commodus, keep your chin up, he will get better.

Big hugs :)

12. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I am so sorry! I understand a little of how you must feel...Almost all of our fish were or are about eight years old....we've lost about half of them so far due to their old age, and I cry every time I find one dead. If I had personally gone out and fished them out of the wild as babies like you did, I would feel even more strongly about them too, I'm sure.

I'm so worried about Commodus! :( Please let us know what's going on, if you can. I've grown to love him a lot through the pictures you've posted. I'm sending lots of prayers your way.

13. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

So sorry Matt for your losses, and my love to commodus too, I couldnt imagine him being snappy he looks sooooo cute and cuddly on the pics i have seen, hope he gets better soon, and like the others say, hes prolly just grouchy cause he isnt so well, :( it will get better for you. ;)

14. Matt_D_C

Matt_D_C Elite Member

Again, thanks so much- for all your support. I don't know what disease it was, but it was really similar to dropsy- only it took 2 days to do it's damage. I bought a few small fish on tuesday and added them to the tank. Nothing big, just a few small comets. I'm no expert in fish, but I know how to identify Ick, Popeye, Septicemia, Fin/Tail rot, Gill Disease, ect... but this was something that showed no visible signs or indications other than minor bloating just before death. With any kind of bacterial infection I would have seen raised scales, or blood streaks in the fins, and fungus is easy to see. My big fish was black (he's now silver- he lost his color indicating high stress) two where white (very easy to see blood streaks), and four were red (fungus would have easily been seen). The worst part is the comets are fine- no symptoms of any sort, swimming happily in the isolation tank. I'm completely at a loss. I didn't think that fish diseases could be carried and transmitted like this. I tried doing some searches, but they just bring up everything I know to identify so no luck at all there.
    They were technically wild, but not really. This lady had a huge pond in her back yard, and she was moving. I went to her house to pick up a 50G tank, and she said that if I wanted some fish from the pond I could have them. So I grabbed a net and spent three hours 'fishing' them out- picking the ones I wanted and putting the others back. I grabbed the smallest of all I kept, except the big fish. He was about an inch bigger than the rest. He's so big now, I couldn't even get my hand around his body to get him out of the big tank. I had to use a bucket and let him swim into it.
    Even worse, since I don't know what it is, I don't know what it can stick to, so I had to trash 60lbs of gravel. I tossed all the filter cartridges, all the hoses, and am soaking all the plants and decorations in bleach. I sprayed and scrubbed the entire tank with isopropyl alchohol, and am currently letting it sit overnight to dry and air out.
    I guess I should be happy that the danios are fine, even though my eel doesn't look to well. He's another one I'd be really upset over if he died. He's a Red Tulip Eel, and has grown to about two feet since I got him. The more I think about it, the more upset I get. Do you remember my "Need help with a fish problem" post? Every single fish made it through that horrible experience ok, only to die like this...
    About Commodus... 7 months of hard work all down the drain. He no longer responds to his name, does not obey commands anymore, and has developed a seriously aggressive attitude. He behaives just like the gators at Animal Kingdom now- yet I still have to inject him everyday. I know he will only get worse as I continue treatment. At first, I thought that it was inevitable hey would behaive like this, but then I thought that it wasn't. All the work I did with him briefly paid off- everyone who was HC day could see that. Unfamiliar people in an unfamiliar environment crowding around him and petting him, yet he was timid as a mouse. I had to make him open his mouth to show off his teeth. But now... I'm not sure if another 7 months would even make a difference.

15. jmclemens

jmclemens Active Member

Oh Matt, that's horrible! I'm so sorry all of that is happening. I hope things take a turn for the better right now.

Michelle

16. Inphormatika

Inphormatika Elite Member

I'm sorry to hear that everything is hitting the fan for you. It really ****s that it's all happening at once. Just try to get through it one day at a time, and remember that we're rooting and praying for you.

17. cman

cman Elite Member

oh wow sry to hear about that week. and ya like Ace said you didnt "Waste a post"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.