This Disappears When Logged In

Rough Green Not Eating, need help asap please!

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by greensnake, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensnake

greensnake New Member

I got a Rough green snake 3 or 4 weeks ago, have had crickets and mealworms available to him constantly in a deli dish, but he has not eaten yet. He has, however, been making a mess of his cage each time I clean it, pooping all over.
    Why would he do that after not eating for weeks? There is no way insects could be getting into his tank without me knowing, the holes in the lid are much too small. I have heat on one side, I mist daily, and he has a lot of fake leaves to hide in.
    How else can I get him to eat, his activity seems to be decreasing, I'm afraid he is starving.

eta I've just read up a little more, his poop I guess is not real "poop", it's the white chalky stuff

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

The white chalky stuff is urates.

A few weeks isn't going to kill him at all. Give us a run-down of his enclosure. Temp, size, substrate, any decorations, hides, lighting, humidity, and anything else you can thing of.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

By "got him" do you mean that you purchased him or caught him?
    Give us as much info about the enclosure as you can. Temperature size of tank etc.
    Are you handling it?

4. greensnake

greensnake New Member

Thanks everybody!

I bought him at a pet store. I only handle him while I'm cleaning the tank, once a week.
    He's in a ten gallon, sides are covered with construction paper, with terrarium carpet. Just today I went out and bought a UVB light and did the construction paper. Here's the tank, the light on the right is just a basking lamp for heat. Under the heat light it's about 88 F, the rest is about 70. He has a little wood hide-house that he never uses, and a ceramic water dish that he could fit in if he wanted, but he never leaves the leaves. I'm hoping now that he has the construction paper and UV light he'll feel more secure and be more active.
    I don't measure humidity, I just spray once or twice a day
    [​IMG]

edit: I said in the last post that his activity seems to be decreasing, to clarify, he was never really very active to start with, but for a while he did hang out on the tank bottom sometimes.
    another edit, wrote my temps wrong :eek:

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Rough greens are nervous snakes that generally don't do very well in captivity. For one thing they are more of a look, but don't touch, display animal. And if they are in a high traffic area it tends to make them spooky!
    They also need a bit larger tank than a 10 gal. A 30 is generally recommended as they like a bit of height.
    Are you turning the lights off at night?

6. greensnake

greensnake New Member

It's not a high traffic area at all, it's in a bedroom. Yep, I turn the lights off at night. I'm going to contact the store and see if they'll let me trade for a ribbon snake instead

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.